DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just wanted to ask you if on cold start does your engine make a slight tapping noise for about 30seconds and goes away(4.7L)it seems to happen only when the trucks been sitting for a while like 3-4 hours.It runs great the rest of the time.I don't know if i'm being paranoid or is it normal until the oil circulates through the top of the engine.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
If you have an aftermarket oil filter, it's likely the problem. I put a Fram on the Mrs' Neon a few years ago. The next morning it sounded like the lifters were flat. They were. The Fram didn't have a check valve to keep oil in the top end of the motor. I learned this from a call to the dealership. I scurried on over to the dealership and bought a Mopar filter with a check valve in it. That cured it right away. I use Mopar or Purolator in our rides now. Hope yours is that simple.

·
Banned
524 Posts
good tip!! Mine is probably a fram filter...damn wally world...but mine does tick every morning

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't think that is the problem, I just changed the oil a few days ago and used a motorcraft oil filter that has the check valve and it still taps.I don't know what to do anymore to keep this thing from tapping.I guess i have to bring it in to the dealership.

·
Banned
524 Posts
damn, i was hoping that would fix it.....now you guys got me worried....then again, the hemi ticks..and it isn't a bad thing........I took mine in at one point, they classified it as "spark knock" whatever the hell that means...and poured some mopar fuel injector cleaner in it, that's it......

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
I have the Infamouse Hemi Tick, when I crawl under the truck it almost sounds like the Torque converter and not in the motor.
I hate to say this but every dodge V-8 I have owned has pretty much had that lifter tap noise, The one thing I did try and it somewhat went away was using Castrol Synthetic motor oil, but they say not to put it in unless the motor is broke in at about 15,000 miles. I Use Fram filters but have also used Mopar filters and had not noticed any diffrence. :rck:

·
Registered
16 Posts
mine does the same thing on a cold start especially in the morning. it's like a click click click click, then after about 30 seconds or so it starts to fade away untill it's gone. i wouldn't think it's anything to worry about though. it seems to be pretty common. you do have to admit one thing though...you can't beat em but our magnums sure can make some strange sounds... :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab 4.7 My truck does it toooooo! on cold start and after sitting for hours Must be a Dodge Thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Neither of my 4.7s did this, but my 5.7 did it for about the first 4K. It's definately valvetrain noise. I suspect it was the OEM filter, because I think it went away with my first oil change. Haven't had it since and now have 19K. I only use Fram filters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.