DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use my van ('97 w/V6) occasionally to haul stuff around...so it's been sitting for the last 2 weeks unused.

Go to start it yesterday and for some reason the battery is dead...no problem...jump it and crank, crank, crank, crank. Never ever had a problem with starting it before.

It's low on fuel...so I put 5 gallons more in it...just in case...still no go.

Best it will do is fire once in a while. I'm wondering if my gas line is froze up???

Any thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sure it has spark...it will fire once in a while.

Going to stop and pick up some Quik-Start and gas line anti-freeze at lunch and give her another try.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well..I poured some gas line anti-freeze into it and waited about 1/2 hour before trying.

The engine fired immediately, chugged a couple of times and stopped. Continued cranking only yielded the odd "chuff." I'm sure it must be gas related.

Spraying Quik Start in the intake didn't do a thing. Mind you, I didn't disassemble all the piping going to the engine, just sprayed it in the end of the intake hose up by the grill.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
With a crappy battery she won't fire and stay running. Put the battery on a slow trickle charge overnight or buy a new battery. Modern PCM's really need to have a good battery as well as a good charging system to keep the engine running properly.

·
Banned
3,120 Posts
Canadianron said:
Well..I poured some gas line anti-freeze into it and waited about 1/2 hour before trying.

Spraying Quik Start in the intake didn't do a thing.
The dry gas isn't doing a thing right now because it's only in the tank. All of the fuel in the fuel lines has to be used before the dry gas gets to the engine. The fact that you got some chugging out of it was just coincidence.

If the quik start didn't help, then your problem is not fuel related, it's ignition. Since the quik start takes the place of fuel, the engine was getting "fuel" and it still didn't fire up. Like Dodgevanman said, you just might need more battery power, especially because of the cold weather.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dodgevanman said:
With a crappy battery she won't fire and stay running.
Even with the jumper cables still connected to a running car? ...How does it know any different?

PS: new alternator was installed about a month ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well...got it going...had to hold the gas pedal right to the floor and crank it until it finally started...kind of reminded me of what my '74 used to do before I put a manual choke on it!!!!

Left it running to charge up battery...we'll see if it starts up again afterwards.

I read something about a "crank code" being "lost" if the battery goes dead on some Dodges???? Anybody know if that could be applicable to this model/year of engine?

·
Seating for 12
1,893 Posts
With the '97, you can dump a little Seafoam product right down the TB intake while the engine runs. This will give the fuel system a great cleaning. Don't dump too fast as the engine would stall.

You'll see white puffs out the exhaust, don't worry since that's the old carbon burning off and out the pipe.

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
What happens is that if the battery is disconnected, weak, or dead, the PCM must re-learn the default parameters (how about that?) to keep the engine idling/running properly. I had a fellow on another site going through the same thing you are on a '96 van.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.