DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 96 4x4 Sport with a 5.2. Lots of folks claim that a cold air intake is a quick way to squeeze some extra performance out of it. The stock air box (round air cleaner) has a rectangular plastic hose that runs from a hole behind the grill directly to the mouth of the air cleaner. So I'm already getting cold air rather than sucking it from the engine compartment, right? What's more, the air filter is protected in its stock box instead of being exposed to mud and water like a cone filter on the end of a fancy tube would be. So what would be the advantage in buying a cold air intake?? Am I missing something here? Is there a beneficial feature of the expensive aftermarket intakes that I'm overlooking? It looks like the mouth of the stock air cleaner is plenty big, so I don't think there's much restriction. Would a drop-in K&N in my stock box be just as effective?

Give me some guidance here...

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Dropping in a K&N would probably do you just fine.

·
Banned
115 Posts
i agree, a k&n works wonders. did it on my '95 4x4 5.2L and i was toasting 2wds of the same generation and same engine at the strip. i was suprised.
Tim

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I made my own CAI, and I do notice the most difference on cool days. If it is +30, the truck runs a tad slower but if it is in the single digits I can chirp the tires easily. I couldn't do that before with the stock intake.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Drop in a K&N and remove the plastic weatherplate. It is behind the grille and is clipped in. Just pops out and removes the largest airflow restriction.

·
Banned
115 Posts
for whatever reason my truck loves to burn rubber. i have to be careful when i'm pulling off the line into a merge. not that its a bad thing. i guess all vehicles are different. couldnt toast 2wds before the filter though

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.