DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a "cold air intake" on Amazon.com last May, but it was some what short, so I decided to modify it. The cold air intake was $35 shipped, and the 3" flexible duct was $10 dollars. The air box is made out of aluminum, and it fits perfect on top of the throtle body, and the 3" pipe is made out of aluminum as well.

This is what the intake looked straight out of the box:YO:.

This is what the "cold air intake" looked installed right out of the box and on my truck:ugh.

I didn't liked it, so I cut the pipe, and I added the 3" flexible duct to route it to the front of the engine:IDEA:. This is the finished product, and it has been in my truck for 3 months now with no issues:gr_patrio. For $45 bucks I would say that this is a good bang for the buck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I did spent an extra whole dollar on a piece of all thread, and I bent it to the right size and "S" shape to fit the air box and throtle body. I can't remember the correct thread size, but it is easy to figure that out.

·
Registered
736 Posts
1/4x20 would be the thread size

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I just took my hood off = Free cold air intake.

LOL :)

·
1,044 Posts

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
Should have went smooth pipe. Better air flow IMO $10 for the pipe

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where did you get the pipe at for the black-mamba? What is it made out of?

·
Board Breaker TKD
1,547 Posts
It's electrical conduit from Home Depot. 3" pre-bent 90 degrees.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
MYTYT
1,512 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
do yall think this cold air intake is as good as a air aid or k&n performance wise, i know they are all more or less a air filter with a pipe, but i was just curious bout wat yall thought???

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dumb question here...The OEM air intake on mine (01 5.9) goes across to the inner fender and pulls air in from right behind the headlight. As far as I can tell it's outside air that gets to it. Or at least it's not any "warmer" than the pics posted here. I understand the smoother aspect desired and the room that the original box takes up is there. On the other hand, what else would you use the extra room for on top of the engine? Not criticizing at all, don't misunderstand. If there is not some kind of ram air effect I don't see the advantage other than looks.

Mine is clean as can be on the engine side of the original filter when there is a cup of dirt in the tray underneath that has been dropped due to the way it's built. Much better than the older ones with the catchall pan and plate on top that stops up with the old blowby tube after a lot of miles. It's darn sight better than a Chevy I have that has the air intake under the front bumper, eight inches off the ground where water and everything else is sucked up. I changed that pretty quick after discovering what can happen when driving through dips after a rain (something we haven't seen here in west Texas for the last year or so!)

Just asking, that's all...

·
Registered
9,235 Posts

·
1,044 Posts

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
i have that air hat out of a dodge dakota 5.2.... if anyone is interested it's a oem unit

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, that is the one on Amazon. I was missing the "pipe" part on my factory intake. It just had a hole, and you could see the filter on the stock housing. That is what made me get a "cold air intake," that I ended up modifying anyhoops.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Hey bud, you got a link for that intake? I've been looking for that air hat. I would pay 35 bucks just for the hat so I can build my own intake.

Im ditching my ram air box. It takes up too much room under the hood.

EDIT: I found it! :rck:

http://www.amazon.com/94-01-Dodge-1500-2500-Intake/dp/B0041P6WK2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1314176373&sr=8-3
i have the same hat just sitting in the garage....but its the hard plastic one and ive never used it....won a bid on ebay for like .99 cents and this along with a tb and stock air box....interested in a swap or to sell the ram air?.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
ive seen those intakes before...thought about buying one myself except then i found out they send in even hotter air then the stock ones!....its because they are made from aluminum and the engine heat transfers through and then as the air passes through the hot aluminum it heats the air up. I believe engine heat paint might help but its all up to whoever owns one....and for the non-believers ill find the proof just give me a minute lol

·
jqRam
76 Posts
Js305 i am ver y interested to see what people say to what u brought up, sucking outside air makes better sense then air from the eng. Comp. But at the same time the design of stock intake isnt the best due to the ribbed hose and the upright sitting filter is there a way...cheap way to make a hybrid of both use the flatter air intake mounting but use the cold air filter? Im new to modding so ill listen to what is said with patience

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Engine heat paint as an insulator? Why not insulation wrap, it might not look as neat however it will be more effective than paint.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.