DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so long story short. Driver side sagging 1.75 of an inch, that being said I know I need to replace coil springs. Need to know best way possible to do the job. Thanks in advance for any help !

JB

·
Registered
583 Posts
The proper way would be to use a coil spring compressor, but what I do is jack up the entire front end and put it on jackstands. Then I set a floor jack under the lower control arm and raise it until it is just about touching the lower control arm. After that I loosen the lower ball joint nut and run it to the top of the threads. Then take a good sized hammer and wack the nut to release the ball joint from the spindle. When it releases the lower control arm will come down onto the floor jack and then you just slowly lower the floor jack and the spring tension will release and then just pull the spring out. Installation is the reverse process.

Keep in mind even that the 1.75” difference may be more than just the coil spring. Sometimes the rear leaf spring on the driver side is sagging as well. Good luck!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The proper way would be to use a coil spring compressor, but what I do is jack up the entire front end and put it on jackstands. Then I set a floor jack under the lower control arm and raise it until it is just about touching the lower control arm. After that I loosen the lower ball joint nut and run it to the top of the threads. Then take a good sized hammer and wack the nut to release the ball joint from the spindle. When it releases the lower control arm will come down onto the floor jack and then you just slowly lower the floor jack and the spring tension will release and then just pull the spring out. Installation is the reverse process.

Keep in mind even that the 1.75” difference may be more than just the coil spring. Sometimes the rear leaf spring on the driver side is sagging as well. Good luck!

Thanks, kinda the direction I was going to go in. 1 last question do I need to remove any of the tie rods or brake caliper?
JB

·
Registered
583 Posts
No, you will have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the sway bar to the lower control rod though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, you will have to remove the 2 bolts that hold the sway bar to the lower control rod though.
Thank you for the info! I kinda figured on the sway bar just wasn't sure about the tye ride ends as will as the brake stuff. I'll be getting busy on it this next weekend, giveing weather & work schedule. Again thank you for the info.
JIm

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sir I want to thank you for the in-put! Was most helpful! Have now decided to replace the lower ball joints as will. Any ideas on that??
Thanks Again !
JB

·
Registered
583 Posts
Sorry for the delay I don’t get on here much. I don’t know which year you have, but most likely the lower ball joint is a press fit, if it is all you need to do is rent a ball joint removal tool from Auto Zone or equivalent and follow the tools instruction. if it’s a screw in ball joint you will need the factory wrench or a really big adjustable and a lot of heat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts