DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allright guys take it easy on me this is my first dodge, only had Chevy and ford experience ;)

My 2002 dodge ram 1500 recently started turning itself off (while driving or not) after about 10 or so minutes of running. And then it will not start back up at all, it just tries to turn over continuously. After some time (hours, a day..random) it will start back up and run great..and then repeat shutoff. Check engine light clicks on. I checked the code and it read P0320

now, I keep finding 2 different descriptions for this code, my reader says:

P0320 - Ignition/Distributor Engine Speed Input Circuit Malfunction

Yet on the internet some places I am finding:

P0320 - No Crank Reference Signal At PCM

Any idea on which one I should be troubleshooting? I have no idea what is going on here with this truck..any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
D

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
I believe this is the failure mode of a crankshaft position sensor. When it gets hot it goes open and the engine stops and after cooling down it works again. Try replacing the crank sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks a lot for your reply, I was told the same thing yesterday by a guy at the dealer too. I picked one up from the dealer since it was relatively cheap ($41) and replaced it. It's not starting now (still trys to turn over) and I'm getting a new code:

P1389 No ASD Relay Output Voltage at PCM

*Grrr* Anyone have any insight on this new code? I tried unplugging and plugging it back in thinking i didnt have it seated right or something..although it's a pretty simple part..

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
Give me a few minutes and let me see what I can figure out. It still won't start and you have a code P1389 after installing a new crank sensor, right.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for any help. Yea, it will try to turn over but no start. P1389 is the only code it's showing now. I'm trying to google the code without too much luck. I found that the ASD is the Auto Shutdown relay? And that's about as far as I've gotten..

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
If the PCM doesn't see engine speed (crank sensor signal) after 3 seconds of cranking it will kill power to the ASD relay. I think your issue is still in the crank sensor circuit or wiring.

·
Banned
2,489 Posts
Verify the part # for the crank sensor that you got from the dealer. The 2002 4.7L's use a different PCM than the 2004 and up 4.7L's and I'm not sure if the crank sensors are the same. The engine block didn't change so the mounting is the same but the sensors may be different. I'm also not sure if the connectors are the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good idea, I will try comparing the part#'s when get back to the house. I had some part number issues when I had to replace the heator core a while back. Ended up needing to use the 2003 number. I guess 2002 was a split year and it causes people confusion when I try to get parts. I'll try to pull back the heat sheilding and check the wires also.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh. Hate electrical problems. Well I checked the fuse for ASD and it was blown. I replaced it and the truck started up perfectly. Seemed great. Well about 5 miles of driving and it shuts off again. Back to the original P0320 code. This is not fun.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.