DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Caravan 3.0. When I run the codes I get a 72. It's not in the Haynes book. Can someone please clue me in? TIA!

·
Registered
984 Posts
Allpar has no record of a 72 either. The only thing I can suggest is try it again, and make sure you're counting your pauses right.

Rick

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you have an AutoShit--err Zone--around they will put a el'cheapo scanner on it for free. Local dealership charges $40.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL, yeah I had a falling out with my local Autozone. The counter clerk thought because my wife is a woman, that she didn't know anything about cars, and tried to talk to her like she was an idiot. Anyways I emailed the corporate headquarters about him, and they wanted to give me a gift certificate. I said, "Sure, if it is for NAPA or Carquest because I would never go to another Autozone again." He wouldn't give me one, dang cheapskate. LOL

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just called my local Dodge dealer. He said code 72 is, "Park/Neutral switch is stuck in Park or in gear." Now, could somone enlighten me and please tell me what is a Park/Nuetral switch? Isn't that the switch that keeps you from starting the car in gear?

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
*dslynch* said:
I just called my local Dodge dealer. He said code 72 is, "Park/Neutral switch is stuck in Park or in gear." Now, could somone enlighten me and please tell me what is a Park/Nuetral switch? Isn't that the switch that keeps you from starting the car in gear?
Glad to see you finally got a description for your code. :)

A Park/Neutral switch (or PRNDL switch) tells your 1997 Caravan PCM how to idle upon the conditions suggested by the PRNDL switch and other input sensors. Another function of the switch usually tells your reverse lights to activate when reverse is selected. :huh:

In other words, your engine will not function as efficiently as normal until the switch is fixed. :)

Good luck! :gr_patrio

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have notice that the reverse light don't always work when the van is in reverse. Now, I just need to figure out why it feels like reverse isnt fully engaged when I put it in reverse.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Hello again. We took the transmission pan off and found that the reverse band strut was snapped in two. We accidentally took the valve body apart instead of removing it, needless to say the ball bearings came out. Anyways could someone point me to the nearest schematic or a part diagram assembly so I can put the ball bearings in the right place? Also, how many ball bearings are suppose to be in it, we have 6 metal ones and and one rubber type ball bearing. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Make that 7 metal ones.

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
How did that go anyway, did you get it all back together and working correctly?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to a local Dodge and he let me look at the service manual. He didn't understand why there was a teflon bearing when they were all suppose to be metal. Anyways, we got it back together, and replaced the reverse band strut and it has been working fine.......so far. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.