DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 1995 dodge intrepid with the 42LE transmission. There was some changes in this intrepid sometime during the manufacturing year and it seems some things are diffrant from those made earlier in the year. Anyway I am getting conflicting stories on it. I had a guy tell me that it took two diffrant programs to pull the codes up on this car, one for the engine and one for the transmission, and some one else told me it didn't and that all the codes for the motor and transmission could be pulled up by the ignition lite method. If thats true by the check engine lite method all thats stored is 12 and 55 meaning I disconnected the battery ( had to replace the cables ) and 55 being end of codes. Anyway I had a guy put a snap-on MT2500 scan tool on it and he said he was getting codes 36 and 53 on it and I needed a new transmition. This guy runs a transmition shop so it would be to his gain to sale me a transmission. This is a OBD I system NOT OBD II. I don't even see a code for 36 in my book and 53 says it is the PCM. The transmission man told me that it was failing to go into 3rd which I already knew, he said a 36 followed by a 53 meant hydraulic or mechanical problems and to suspect the valves or clutch and mentioned these transmitions came with a plastic piston which I already knew and also that it has an aluminum replacement. Now on a OBD I system code 36 for a 42RH and 46RH transmission is Air Switch solenoid or circuit and a 53 is a internal self-test but I don't know if the same would hold true for the 42LE transmission. To make matters more confusing My underware book ( Haynes ) says it is a OBD system so that makes me wonder if there is a OBD, OBD I and OBD II code systems and if so are the codes differant. The problem with the transmition is that it doesn't want to shift out of second into third or fourth. Both the tech and the speedometer are working. Can anyone clear up all the info or mis-information here to help me make a educated guess as to what to do, replace the transmission or maybe a solenoid or a speed sensor, or computer. The must be test you can do with a volt/Ohm meter to rule out most the stuff. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
594 Posts
There are several TSB's that will correct this issue that involve reprogramming the TCM and a rewireing of the harness to keep the tranny from going into limp mode (lockdown into 2nd gear).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank's Big3
however I ended up replacing the transmission months ago. Turned out it was not under any factory warranty because of the high miles on it and it would have cost as much or more to rebuild it as I could buy one with a warranty for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.