DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it seems that my clutch isn't long for this world so I need to start looking for a new one. I have narrowed my search down to one company, South Bend. But I need to get some real life oponions on what would be best clutch for my truck. I have a programmer that will be turned up and I do tow and drive in the city quite a bit, so I would like something that will hold the power but still be driveably. Im thinking of a con FE but haven't ruled out the DD clutch, I just have a concern about the dd clutch rattle/noise so commonly associated with this setup(from what I have heard). Could I get some opinions on what you would run if you had to do it all over agian.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got 25000 on it so ya, it went kind of quick. Its not totally gone just a little slipping on the upper end when the edges is turned up......I figured its better to start gathering info now then wait til its to late and jump into something I will regret for many miles to come.

Also, read the link....Didn't say much about how it drove afterwards. And I saw that Got Diesel is now looking to sell his truck because he hates the manual in traffic. I hope it wasn't the clutch operation that made him dislike the manual tranny.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
The OFE that I got doesn't really seem much harder to push in than the stock clutch. Holding it there for an extended period of time will get to you. Well, it does me anyways. If you are doing fine sitting in traffic right now then you will be fine with an OFE. I'm not sure about the FE though. It's rated to hold more power but how much more do you plan on making? Mine holds my 450hp just fine.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are the ratings on the CON clutches rear wheel Hp or engine? Future mods will be a turbo upgrade and maybe some small injectors......but nothing much more then that. The truck is my daily driver and my weekend work horse so its really important to keep it driveable.
GD why did you go for the OFE over the FE?
And how noisy are the solid flywheels compared to the dual mass?

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I estimated my truck was around 450hp and since I sit in so much traffic I wanted the South Bend clutch that would be closest to the feel of the stocker while also allowing me to make some extra power without slippage. The OFE was perfect for all my criteria. I never noticed the stock clutch being noisy and this one is not that bad either. It is a bit grabby when you take off from a stop and especially when you are backing up. It's getting better with miles though...
There are plenty of guys making 500+hp with an OFE but it's only rated for around 450rwhp. I have absolutely no plans to make more power with this truck either. I will probably end up keeping it and I think it's perfect just the way I have it set up.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info......ANybody know what a stock 4x4 g56 truck puts out on the rollers RWHP?
Maybe Im shooting to high for my clutch choice.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
Stockers put out around 270-280hp/560-570tq. Somewhere in that area. If you are running those two boxes stacked and you plan on turbo and injector upgrades then I think you will be over 500hp when you are done...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Turbo and injectors are quite a few miles down the road, so maybe the CON OFE will be the best choice....I would like to run about a 100-150 hp over stock w/o any
problems.

Is the CON OFE a rather grabby clutch? Or can it be let out smooth? Thinking for when my wife drives the truck.....

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
SBC 3600 DD. The new spring hub design doesnt rattle near as much as the solid hub. Lugging in 5th it'll sing to you alittle but its not bad at all. My wife hasnt said a word. The piece of mind i have knowing i can pull it, drag it, and run more hp than i plan to make is completely worth the extra money. With the upgraded hydraulics, pedal pressure isnt bad either. Its all personal preference though, if you lived close to me id take you for a ride so you could decide for yourself.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
98v10ram said:
SBC 3600 DD. The new spring hub design doesnt rattle near as much as the solid hub. Lugging in 5th it'll sing to you alittle but its not bad at all. My wife hasnt said a word. The piece of mind i have knowing i can pull it, drag it, and run more hp than i plan to make is completely worth the extra money. With the upgraded hydraulics, pedal pressure isnt bad either. Its all personal preference though, if you lived close to me id take you for a ride so you could decide for yourself.
If you don't mind me asking, how much did it set you back OTD after installation etc?

·
OH Snap!
503 Posts
To be honest i dont quite remember. I believe the clutch runs about 1750 and i paid 450 for installation. I did it in pieces though, got the clutch, then the hydros (dont remember at all what i paid for them, got em from Jason at Diesel Nut Motorsports), then had it installed so it wasnt quite a hit. I wouldnt change it though. Worth every penny.

Guess im really no help. :crazy:

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I paid $1600 total for the clutch, flywheel, hydraulics, and installation. It is a bit grabby and to overcome that you will have to start out a bit differently from a stop. With the stocker there is no throttle needed as you let the clutch out. I found that a mild tap on the throttle while releasing the clutch makes it a lot less grabby. Starting out in first gear works too but that's a pain itself.....
My wife won't even drive it since I installed the clutch. I don't think I mind that at all... ;)

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So the con OFE/FE clutchs are a little grabby but hold at least 450 rwhp and are cheaper by about 700 dollars and the DD which is a little noisy.
Being I doubt I will get much past 450 hp anytime soon Im leaning towards the OFE or FE still. I dont like the idea of a clutch that rattles even if it does hold the world. Anybody have any pics of the changes that where made to the DD design to quite the rattle? I have a DD on my mustang (Mcleod clutch), its a similiar style too the south bends DD pictured on the web site except of my cars DD has some straps that hold the floated plate on the flywheel. And there is no rattle at any speed or RPM at all.....is there a reason that SB doesn't do something similiar. Because I assume that the rattle is coming from the floated plate rattling in its retainer.
Anybody have any more/other input?

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
If you lug the engine then even the OFE will make some noise but that's easy to overcome...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.