DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result. So, I'm crazy. This is the 3rd time my clutch line has burst from being melted by the catalytic converter, spraying brake fluid all over the cat, thus lighting the engine compartment on fire and leaving the slave looking like a really smokey candle way down in there. I've also wasted a bottle of water , a cup of coffee and a beer putting the thing out 3 times. I want to rip the cat out and put a straight pipe in, which is legal in my world. Will this negatively effect anything on my 1987 D150 2WD, no A/C, Slant 6, 4 speed on the floor? Yes, I put a piece of tin between the cat and the line. It still melts the line. Am I the only one this happens to? Thanks, Howie Wood

·
Registered
899 Posts
Assuming everything is in its original place, something is now getting too hot which could mean that the 33 year old Cat has collapsed internally and is overheating. If so, you probable want to replace it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Howie,

You have several options. Something is obviously not stock or routed incorrectly so that would be your first step, secondly you could just pull the Cat like you mentioned. to early of a model to mess up a PC. It may need a tweek on the fuel side. Not sure what state you are in. If it were me I would source the parts to convert it back to a linkage style clutch from an earlier model. It’s a bolt in affair and will never fail you.

Ron

1 - 3 of 3 Posts