DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a 2004 SRT10 with 60,000 on. I'm the first owner. Yesterday I hauled my MX bike back from the track to home, 90 miles at 90 mph (BTW, it is so much fun to out-drag and pass people hauling a bed full of MX stuff including a bike). Got home fine, parked it and unloaded.

This morning I couldn't select any gear at all. Tried a few times and it would just not go into gear. Then the clutch stayed all the way in. I hooked my foot under it and pulled it up and now it's very floppy. You can depress the clutch in by just breathing hard on it, and you know that is not normal.

I pushed the monster off the drive (not easy) so I could use my wife's truck and found a pool of what looks like hydraulic fluid on the driveway at the passenger side. Makes sense. Must have a clutch fluid leak.

My question is: Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas what it could be? Cost to fix? Strange that it was fine on my drive home and was bad this morning.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I am speaking with no personal experience as I have an auto, but I know a common modification for the RC 6-speed guys is to replace the stock Ram SRT hydraulic clutch salve cylinder (located at the bellhousing) with a more desirable Viper car system. I assume this is because others have experienced the same thing you are experiencing right now - poor shifting followed by an eventual system break-down.

This is a perfect opportunity to replace your clutch's slave cylinder with the more desirable Viper unit. Check with some of the Dodge Talk supporting vendors to see if they have this kit - if not I can recommend a vendor to you. just PM me.

From my vendor's website:
"The plastic casing of the slave cylinder has been the weak point of the equation for the 6 speed SRT Rams, causing difficult shifts and lost races. Our upgrade includes a new slave cylinder, with a cast metal case, a new master cylinder (for the slave cylinder), and a spacer to lower the clutch pedal to the same height as the brake pedal, for ease of operation."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the slave cylinder - plus more issues

Thanks man, it is the slave cylinder. By looking at it, the slave cylinder seems to be buried inthe bellhousing. It looks to me like I'd need to split the transmissiion/bellhousing to replace it. Is that correct?

If it is correct, that does not sound like a DIY project. Does anyone have the dealer costs for doing this fix i.e. replacing the slave cylinder?

Also, while I was under there (lots of room underneath - how convenient) I found that the shock that connects the axle to the chassis, to prevent wheel hop under those burnouts conditions, has leaked all it's fluid out and needs replacing too.

I also have two bald rear tires (see burnout comment above).

Woe is me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going in !

So I started tearing it down today. I have the drive shaft out, the bellhousing unbolted, the shifter unbolted and the cross-member removed. Tomorrow I will try to withdraw the transmission.

Wish me luck. It's going OK so far, just one crushed finger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Clutch compatibility

OK so I have the tranny out and what a piece of junk the plastic slave cylinder is. It's amazing that it lasts at all.

OK, does anyone know if the viper clutch bolts right in? I hope so, I just bought one from a Viper Competition Coupe today (that's about all I can afford from a comp coupe).

If anyone has issues splitting the motor/tranny, let me know I found the foolproof procedure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Wish I could help you, but all I can do is guess. I would be willing to bet the clutch will swap Ok so long as the year of each vehicle is close.

Compare the two units side-by-side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.