DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Dodge Caravan 3.0L 169,000 mi. The error codes I keep getting are P0300 or random misfire and P0305 misfire cylinder 5. Wife took to dealer and they replaced spark plugs and wires. The MIL light and misfire error didn't go away.

6 mo later and in need of inspection I used the shotgun approach to solve the problem. I replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and roter. I also removed the fuel injectors, cleaned and swapped the front ones to the back. I also noticed the connector that goes to all of the injectors was slightly corroded and the wire insulation was comming of. I cut the connector off about 2 inches then resolderd and heatshrinked the connectors and put back together (Nice job if I do say so myself). I even bought a fuel filter but didn't replace it yet.
After all this work I am reading from the data stream while engine running:

FSSB1 closed
FSSB2 open
LTFT 2.0 to 5.3
STFT B1 0.0 to 7.0
STFT B2 99.0 constant

WHAT MY QUESTION IS:
Should there be (FSSx) fuel system status bank one and bank two for my Van? Could this be an option in the ECM that is not used on my vehicle? Is my reader wigging out?

Are 2 oxygen sensors, one before the cat and one after the cat, enough for 2 closed loop feed back control systems?

After reading everything I can find on line, A (STFT) short term fuel trim reading 99.0 for a long period of time and an open FSSB2 means the 02 sensor is not working correctly, however there are only 2, O2 sensors on this Van. One before the cat and one after which means only one loop.

By the way the check engine light has not come back on after a week. It would normally come on every time it was driven. I think I have fixed the problem but hope someone knows about the closed loop feed back control system.

Thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please help...

I am not sure what to check next.

The check engine light came back on again. P0305 misfire cyl 5 same problem as before. I n prev post I changed plugs(gap according to spec) wires were changed 6 mo ago I checked resistance on wires good. Replaced cap and rotor. I swapped the injectors front to back so the problem is not the injectors.
Could it be vaccume? Fuel pressure? timing chain? It does go thru oil quart / 1000 mi. 169,000mi. EGR valve? what to do next.
thanks
Anthony

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry incorrect info.
Just replaced HO2 after cat. and noticed while reading scan tool I have:
FSS1 closed
FSS2 open
STFT1 -2.0 to 5.0
STFT2 99.0
LTFT same
O2 B1 S1 same
O2 B1 S2 after replacement faster and more range. looked like orig sensor.(not BANK2)

The Chilton manual says:"The PSM uses the HO2S sensor voltage signal to constantly adjust the amount of fuel injected which keeps the engine at peek efficiency."

Im assuming that means that both sensors are used. After replacing the HO2 after the cat with Factory O2 sensor the check engine light has not come back on but I only drove for a short time. Will keep you updated.
Going to try and use RESTORE in the engine in case oil is fouling out the plugs. After looking at the old plugs I replaced It looked like the engine is running rich as the plugs had white deposits on the tips.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.