DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
03 OFF ROAD
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have click that sound like it is coming from under the vehicle when going from park to drive but it does not do it everytime.

Thanks Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
It sounds like your U-joint is failing. I would know since my '06 with 8k miles has had the problem 3 times now. The u-joint is replaced along with the driveshaft as a balanced unit. (Dodge calls it a propeller shaft) Hopefully you're still under warranty.

For me, when going from park to reverse, I would hear snap snap. Then into drive I hear it as well. Accelerating and decelerating sometimes makes the noise as well.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
does it sound like a click or more of a thunk? a click like a bottle cap being tapped on a bottle or more like a bedroom door slamming shut? keep in mind that we have an electronic trans and they do make moise sometimes. so buy your choice of words i would assume its more of a relay type sound if that is the case dont worry about it. but if its a thunking sound you coud climb under your truck (with the truck off and in park)and see if the drive shaft will rotate. if you can grab it with your hand and make it move back and forth your u-joints are shot. you cen get them from any auto parts store or take it in and have them replaced.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
That sounds like tranny solenoids, I wouldn't worry. Do this though. Park next to something that will reflect sound back to you (like the side of a building). Move from gear to gear and see if you can hear the buzzing and clicking of the solenoids. See if those are the same sounds you hear now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
That solenoid noise has always bothered me, but it is normal. Mine sounds sorta like gears meshing electronically if that makes any f*cking sense at all LOL :thatfunny It still bothers me but I have noticed others with electronic tranny's such as Turds, I mean Furds do the same thing.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
The first time I heard that "Bzzzzzzzz...CLICK!" I was like WTF was THAT?!

All's ya gotta do is crawl underneath and look at the huge harness connector going into the tranny and it all makes sense, lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know about the solenoid clicks. Mine is coming from the back though. A tech at one of the dealerships confirmed when he crawled underneath and listened while I shifted from R-N-D-N-R. My "mousetrap" noise goes away for about 2k miles after they replace the shaft/u-joint, then it comes back. I'm going to have some words with them this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I asked them the same question. They say they do that because it is a balanced assembly and any vibration isn't good for the u-joint or rear-end. This is the smoothest truck I've ever driven at any speed. Your guess is as good as mine as to why mine keeps failing.

I almost think mine was dropped on the assembly line. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed the bed wasn't lined up with the cab. It was off by over an inch. They had to take the bed off and re-weld the brackets on the frame to straighten it out because there are no adjustments for it. Because of that and numerous u-joint failures, something isn't right. The truck doesn't "track" down the road and it drives straight, but why do they keep failing? I don't beat on it, and I haven't towed anything since July.

·
ASE approved
8,862 Posts
bravdotcom said:
I asked them the same question. They say they do that because it is a balanced assembly and any vibration isn't good for the u-joint or rear-end. This is the smoothest truck I've ever driven at any speed. Your guess is as good as mine as to why mine keeps failing.

I almost think mine was dropped on the assembly line. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed the bed wasn't lined up with the cab. It was off by over an inch. They had to take the bed off and re-weld the brackets on the frame to straighten it out because there are no adjustments for it. Because of that and numerous u-joint failures, something isn't right. The truck doesn't "track" down the road and it drives straight, but why do they keep failing? I don't beat on it, and I haven't towed anything since July.
seems to me that you need to have a talk w/ the dealer. if they cant fix the driveline issue your going to continue to have problems w/ it after the warrenty runs out then where will you be? you will be buying all those expensive parts your best bet........find out about lemon laws in your state, document everything even a phone call w/ someone and get it fixed or get the truck replaced.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've already done my research on the lemon law. All I need is one more more visit to the shop in the next 6 months. Since I've already been through 3 driveshafts, I have a good feeling it will go bad again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
good luck with the lemon law i purchased two (new in 98) dakotas the same day from the same dealer one for me and one for the wife in the 9months we had owned them they together had been in the shop for repairs a total of 6 monthsone would get fixed then the other would break, problems ranged from power steering line burst,to rear end almost falling out of truck,to tranny failure and a host of other items.
the dealer called the chrysler rep for our district and he honestly said you bought them its your problem. :VHOT:

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ever heard of an attorney? That will get their attention!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah bro, I'm not an attorney but if there under warranty, he can't just say there YOUR problem. If they can't prove what the problems are they should be compensating you for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I stopped at the dealer today to get a copy of one of the invoices that I was missing. I've already made contact via email to what appears to be a reputable firm that only handles lemon law stuff. I'll be contacting the Daimler Chrysler customer hotline tomorrow to let them know what my intentions are (selling this thing back to them). I'm curious to know what they will have to say about that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.