DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what would you guys recommend for cleaning the turbo on the truck with out removing it i'm taking my whole intake off and cleaning the air box and things just noticed how dirty the turbo looked

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
wow no posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Are you talking interior or exterior. I've only got 40K on mine & it looks like new in & out.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
inside the turbo mine has 125000 miles on it

·
Registered
740 Posts
Might want to try some carb/throttle body spray cleaner while the engine is running. I guess it would be safe on a diesel. Anybody agree/disagree??

·
02 R/T & 05 Ram
2,725 Posts
disagree, sorry. the inside of that turbo isn't designed to have any fuel or solvents in it. I'd be afraid of the solvent damaging a seal, or bearing, or something.

·
Brian
358 Posts
Id try flushing it out with some high pressure air. lol stick a leaf blower in it and blow everything out...no more dust at least and nothing harmful going in either. just my thoughts, i dont own a diesel yet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
We spray brake cleaner in the turbo to clean the vanes.

Just a little at a time though. You wil hear the engine change tone when you do it.

If you're extra anal about cleaning it, spray some Q-tips with the brake clean and wipe the vanes down with them.

·
4x4sAndRocks.com
4 Posts
Brake cleaner is the only thing I have ever heard for cleaning the turbo. 2 cans about every 100k on the cummins 400 of coarse just a little at a time not all at once.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have never heard of "Turbo Cleaning". You have to remember that when you start the truck up, The Intake Heater Cycle till the Air Temp is warm enough, and If something flammable hits the grids, the engine will let you know! Turbos run a Bushing, not a ball bearing unless you have an aftermarket turbo. If you have dirt on the intake side, you are using a crappy filter like K&N, Your intake tubing is leaking, or you have a stock filter with holes in it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CaptainCummins said:
I have never heard of "Turbo Cleaning". You have to remember that when you start the truck up, The Intake Heater Cycle till the Air Temp is warm enough, and If something flammable hits the grids, the engine will let you know! Turbos run a Bushing, not a ball bearing unless you have an aftermarket turbo. If you have dirt on the intake side, you are using a crappy filter like K&N, Your intake tubing is leaking, or you have a stock filter with holes in it.

I'd check for a leak or something, I run a K&N and have 130,000+ miles on my truck and the turbo looks as clean as the day I bought it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
there is a reason why there are stickers on the truck and why the manual says not to spary stuff in the intake side of the turbo......just not a good idea. I agree with the above posts.....if you have dirt on your turbo.....time to look for a new filter or different brand

·
Registered
577 Posts
StarDriver said:
I'd check for a leak or something, I run a K&N and have 130,000+ miles on my truck and the turbo looks as clean as the day I bought it.
Do you take care of the K&N? Most people don't.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
I prefer the paper element and you can get them pretty large nowadays.

·
Registered
203 Posts
10.4 on that....it can breathe now....lol I just did the BHAF a couple weeks ago

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hmm, where have I seen that before? ;)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
In the parking lot at the dorms of your alma-mater...Nashville Auto-Diesel College.

·
Registered
198 Posts
CaptainCummins said:
Do you take care of the K&N? Most people don't.
Yes, I even had one go bad and K&N replaced it free of charge. One thing I think where people get in trouble with a K&N, they put oil on the inside of the filter, it should only be put on the outside.

Something also that peopel should look at, when you replace an air filter, make sure the seal is good when you install the new filter.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.