DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this sponge disk buffer thingy with minerals which goes on your hand drill and well I think it could work great for minor scratches but It just ruined my headlamps because I have to use probably 30-40 disks which is not cost effective. I heard about CLEAR COAT before where the heck could I buy it or is it possible to buy that MINERAL for the drill sponge?

Please somebody tell me how I could get rid of the tiny spider cracks and brown dirt on the headlamps...
thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have always had good luck wet sanding them. I start with 1000 grit and work my way through with 1500 and stopping at 2000. Its alot of hand work but after you are done you just use a light buffing compound and then a good wax and they look great. I do everything by hand.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've wet sanded with 600 grit before, just removing that yellow film. Then you spray them with clearcoat. I used Trem-Clad Clearcoat. It worked great. Less work then previously mentioned, and they are still good, a little over a year later. Good luck, and let us know what works for ya.....Brad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey dodges3 where can I purchase that Trem-Clad CLEARCOAT? I tried plastex or something like that from a local company but I think that product is only for polishing already clean headlamps please let me know about this Trem-Clad Clearcoat thingy because I think sandpapering with 2000 is a lot of work after I've seen that fine paper. But thanks for the info Fireman also.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think I got my clearcoat from Home Depot. Most major stores like this will carry some brand of clearcoat in a spray bomb...

·
Registered
2 Posts
my son is a mobile detailer, he saw this while we were looking for my steering noise earlier, when his customers tell him about their headlights looking yellow/brown he cleans them with Westley's Bleach-white whitewall cleaner, rinse thoroughly and dry, then use a microfiber towel and some regular colgate toothpaste (not gel but the plain white paste) and buff working in small sections, hope this helps :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
clear coat

thank your for your help but I've been to Home Depot(South California) and they said they don't have any Clear Coat as a matter of fact it took me 30 mins to find somebody who knows about this kinda stuff. Anyway I will try to find it again becase I sandpapered the headlamps after I figured out that it will take me forever to make'em clean .Thanks again for the tips folks I sure will try again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't mean to get off-topic, but I bought a headlight cleaning kit from Wal-Mart that contained everything needed to make the head-lights look brand new.

It came with all the sandpaper types needed, clear coat, some goo to clean up the headlights, and a DVD that showed you how to do it.

I can't remember the name of the kit, but it came in silver/aluminum bag packaging and was $15. Worth every penny. My headlights were yellow as yellow can be. After about 20 minutes of using this kit they came out crystal clear and look almost brand new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.