DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am listening to a car repair talk show right now and I'll pass on what I just heard. For dirty injectors the host said get a bottle of BG44K and fill up with Shell93 octane. If you can't find BG he said get a 20 oz. can of Techron. He said th Shell 93 has a good cleaner in it. Frankly, I did not know one gasoline was better than another.

·
Registered
477 Posts
In their commercials Shell advertises that they put Techron in their gas. Personally I use Marvel Mystery oil in gas once a month. Used accord to directions a bottle lasts a long time

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Almost company pretty much gets their crude from the same place. I believe it's the additives that make the difference.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
Yeah, I'd go with the additives train of thought.

Marvel Mystery Oil.... Ain't used THAT in years! Awesome stuff. I've seen it do some amazing things to sick, tired, and dirty motors though.

·
I don't give a...........
1,360 Posts
Marvel Mystery Oil in your Gas?!? I'd never heard of that. I've heard of people adding that to there oil, but to gas, has anyone else tried that?

·
Registered
83 Posts
yeah techron is good stuff it is also very powerful so don't get carried away with adding like 3 bottles of the stuff. I have seen these at the dealership and it can give you leaky injectors and or foul the plugs so easy with the techron. As far as grades of gasoline there is something out there called top tier fuel. It is recommended by the big 3. Techron 1 bottle every 3000 miles, this is the only fuel additive that I have poured into a fuel injected vehicle in all my years at the store that you can see results from, besides top engine cleaner but thats another story, :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
thecrapshoveler said:
Marvel Mystery Oil in your Gas?!? I'd never heard of that. I've heard of people adding that to there oil, but to gas, has anyone else tried that?
Read the bottle in the store BTW automotive trivia: there once was a carburettor called the little marvel . It worked well but had a habit of dirt plugging its passages and the thing would have to be cleaned. A cleaner that could be added to the gas was devised and the clever name chosen to market it 'MARVEL MYSTERY OIL... anybody know what the AC in AC sparkplugs stands for? How did WD40 get its name? whats a henweigh?

·
Registered
236 Posts
AC stands for All Conditions and WD40 was the formula name for a water displacement product and the 40 comes from the 40th try hence Water Dispalcement 40..aka WD40...any others???? :D

·
Registered
477 Posts
WD40 correct. AC are a mans initals (hint) he started a company sold it to GM then started another company

·
Hemi 4x4/Challenger T/A
1,485 Posts
True story:
Few years back, my company-assigned rig was a 1998 Ram with a 5.2 (I think my Profile pic still shows it, sitting next to my '04). Water pump seized on the way home from work one Friday. Didn't realize it at first; sounded like the tranny was giving up again, as it had been to the shop a couple times on the tranny already. Since I knew they were gonna replace the tranny the following Monday and I was 3 miles from home, I just kept driving.....
Well, next thing you know, I'm losing power. Look down at the gauges to see the temp gauge climbing FAST. Little light bulb comes on over my noggin and I think "water pump". Then I lose the serpentine belt....ah the heck with it, I'll nurse it to the house and the dealer can come fetch it Monday.
Interesting to drive one of those without ps, overheating, knocking like hell, power down to nothing. I manage to get it to the house, open the hood <i>and the exhaust manifolds were glowing hot!</i>.
Figured I'd wasted the motor at that point. My dad comes to visit next morning (he's 70) and he listens to my story, then says "valve top oil" as he listens to it clacking and so on (I'd gone ahead and replaced the water pump, hoses and belt earlier in the morning). I figure what the heck and fetch some Marvel Mystery Oil, not believing what I thought was an old wives' tale.
Well.......it worked.
A couple minutes after changing the oil and adding a bottle of that stuff to the oil, the thing started running smoother and smoother til it sounded "normal" again.
The old man still reminds me of that occasionally lol.

·
Tank Mech
3,687 Posts
thecrapshoveler said:
Not only to the gas and oil, but it can be poured down the carb throat too. A little aside:
Before enlisting in the early 80's, I worked a number of wheat farms in Eastern Washington. A few had tractors and combines that belonged in museums rather than in fields. One guy had combines that ranged from 1945 to 1960. One of them had a sticking valve (you know, the bummmmmmmmm-badummmmmm idle). We'd run it up in RPM's and let the air stream draw the MMO into the engine. We'd watch the huge cloud of smoke billow out the exhaust and take the MMO off just as it drew the RPM's down too far, letting it rev back up. Each time we did it, the miss was less pronounced. Only about four applications were needed before the miss was gone and it idled like a purring kitten. He dumped some of the rest in the crankcase, and the remainder went into the gas tank.

Marvel Mystery Oil indeed.... :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
marvel mystery :thatfunny , Its trans fluid guys. :IDEA: good YES it has the same qualities as trans fluid. Lots of detergent additives just like regular trans fluid. I wouldn't be putting much down the throttle body opening as the O2 sensors don't like being all sutted up it makes them sluggish, Sluggish means bad gas mileage. probably not helping the cat much either as it may also contribute to clogging. Adding a little to the engine oil is not a bad idea at all. Tends to promote the lifters from clogging for you guys that are not changing your oil on a regular basis :nutkick: and generally keeps sludge build up down. Adding to the fuel tank ? Hmmmmmmmm , I guess in the old days of carbs the idea was to have enter the motors internal workings to clean them more efficiently by introducing it directly in to the combustion chamber. I would say that this works to clean the valve and piston faces and the ring landings. NOW in the modern day of fuel injectors I would tend to think that the premise is the same except for one thing. A gas engines fuel injector was not designed to atomize or spray OIL. The viscosity of oil and fuel/Gas are not the same . I guess if you have to do this only in moderation especially you Hemi guys. Why? because if you add to much the plugs will foul out. Lets see thats 16 plugs at 3 or 4 dollars a pop and your time changing them = :grum: . Dont want that so easy with the M&M or trans fluid as I like to call it :wavey:

·
Bill Newell
772 Posts
six pak said:
You know your automotive history. Huw about REO
Ok this is sad, but I that too. REO is initials for Ransom Eli Olds. He created Oldsmobile. His creation of the REO speedwagon (a flat bed heavy duty truck)was the insperation of the rock band.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just goes to show that General Motors became the giant they are by buying out people who knew what they were doing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.