DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
cas66ragtop
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I just got my car out of the body shop - the rear-end was repaired and painted after a collision. (2008 Sebring Convertible w/3500 miles - yeehaw! That new-car feel is gone!) When I first got the car back, it had tons of overspray on the car. I gave it back to the body shop to have them fix it. A couple days later I got the car back again, and they did fix 95% of the overspray - but there ARE still a couple spots that need attention.

I know I should probably take it back to the shop again, but I don't want to run the risk of pissing the body shop guys off by wearing out my welcome. I think I might be better off to try to tackle this myself, but I need some help, because I don't want to screw up my paint.

I was told that they used a clay bar for the overspray. I have NEVER used this product. Can anyone help me out?

1. Which name-brand clay bar has best results and is easiest to use for the novice?

2. The only thing I have seen on store shelves is the Maguires kit that contains the clay bar, spray cleaner, and wax. Am I wasting my money here? Can't I just buy the clay bar by itself and use soapy water instead of the spray cleaner?

3. Schtooopid question (but maybe worth asking) - can I go to an arts & crafts supply store and get modeling clay? How about Play-doh? Or Silly Putty? ;) Ok, Ok, I am just joking about the last 2 - I am NOT that dumb! But I do wonder just how different modeling clay is from name-brand car clay. Anyone else ever try this? What results did u get?

4. Do you have any advice you can give me that the product instructions do not offer? Things to watch out for - tips to make things easier and get a higher quality job.

Thanks a lot guys!!!!! :rck: :dtrocks:

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
Adams polishes has the clay bar and detailing spray ... here is a link to the How To section they have on the website http://www.adamspolishes.com/t-videos.aspx (alot of good info there)
scroll down on the right side and you will see clay bar .... I have used there product and it has done wonders for me and am a firm believer they have a good thing going

·
cas66ragtop
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, SHERDEP for your help. I went to the Adams website and tried viewing the video, but my internet is via telephone, so it is very slow. But they had lots of good info elsewhere - thanks again for your help.

How bout the rest of you guys? Who else has used clay bars and what sort of results did you get?

Sort of strange that the "whether or not you use tire shine" post gets 30 responses, but the more difficult clay bar post only gets 1 response. Don't get me wrong - NOT saying anything bad about the tire shine guy at all - I am happy he got a lot of response. Good for him! All I am saying is that my clay bar issue seems like it is a bigger deal since you can screw up your paint if you do it wrong. I know when to admit when I need help - so I am asking again, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks again - Merry Christmas to all!

·
voo doo 1 I am buggin out
6,355 Posts
cas66ragtop said:
Thank you, SHERDEP for your help. I went to the Adams website and tried viewing the video, but my internet is via telephone, so it is very slow. But they had lots of good info elsewhere - thanks again for your help.

How bout the rest of you guys? Who else has used clay bars and what sort of results did you get?

Sort of strange that the "whether or not you use tire shine" post gets 30 responses, but the more difficult clay bar post only gets 1 response. Don't get me wrong - NOT saying anything bad about the tire shine guy at all - I am happy he got a lot of response. Good for him! All I am saying is that my clay bar issue seems like it is a bigger deal since you can screw up your paint if you do it wrong. I know when to admit when I need help - so I am asking again, PLEASE HELP!

Thanks again - Merry Christmas to all!
Merry Christmas to you as well .... Yes it does suck when the tire shine guy gets more repsonses (cause people do that more then Clay Bar) then the Clay bar but I can tell you this .... I had never used a Clay bar till I became a Member on here (2004) and was talking with another member and he gave me some suggestions and the Clay Bar was one of them.
The Clay bar make the paint feel alot smoother .. you will notice a diffrence

Just make sure when you use the Clay Bar that you keep folding the bar and keep it wet with either soapy water or finishing spray.

·
'98 B2500 Ram Cargo Van
680 Posts
Hi -

I did every square millimeter of my van with clay when I bought it (believe it or not!!) It took forever......and ever.....and ever. :thatfunny Lots and lots of square millimeters on a full size van (roof included). But when it was FINALLY done, it looked new. Like freash-off-the-assembly-line-new. I was very happy with the results, but I doubt I'll do that again. Not any time soon at least.

Basicly, make absolutely sure to keep the surface wet like sherdep says. As long as you do the clay will slide across the surface nice and easy. But the second that there is NOT enough lubrication, it will instantly stick to the paint and turn into a hassle to get off. At least that was the case with the product I used - from Griots Garage.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/11153.do

I think in your situation, it would be worth trying. If I had a show car or a vehicle that I really wanted to keep in primo condition, I would use it. But for a daily driver, in my oppinion at least, its a lot of work for paint that will see the elements every day.

Pete

·
******* Yankee
2,509 Posts
I use Mothers clay bar. Like the others have said, spray the detail spray and wipe the bar over that area until it's smooth. Make sure you keep the surface wet with the spray. Fold the bar in on itself to get a fresh surface. After your done wax the area.

·
cas66ragtop
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips VAN-MAN. Wow - you did your whole van? Bet that was quite a chore -esp. also doing the roof!

And also thank you, WIRENUT1969 for your tips.

Well now I have 3 different name-brands to look at - but since all you guys had good success, it makes me feel better about doing this. Thanks everyone for your help!

·
Registered
24 Posts
well you really cant mess up your car by using a clay bar. unless you get a big pice of contamination in the clay and continue to wipe your truck it will scratch it. if you drop the clay throw it away never use clay that has fallen on the ground. also like said above keep folding it and working it after every pannel. this just allows the clay to have a nice clean surface. dont be stingy on the clay lubricant, or spray detailer. make sure the surface is well saturated. i was worried before i clay bared my truck the first, thought i was going to sevearly mess up something but learned that it is almost impossable to mess it up, its just clay.

dont forget to wax the car after you clay bar it as the clay also removes all old wax.

before you clay the vehicle wash and dery it first.

just my .02

evan

·
Registered
5 Posts
When I used to detail cars and motorcycles, I had a clay bar I bought from my Malco distributor (the Mother's bar is just as good). I just mixed up soap (plain old soap, not any of those wax/soaps) and water in a spray bottle (about 20:1 mix) and would spray about a 2 square foot area and then go over it with the clay bar. I'd then wax the vehicle with Malco's "rejuvinator" compound/glaze and finish it with their "plum crazy" glaze or just Eagle One Wet or Zymol liquid wax. I buffed it with a regular Craftsman orbital buffer with tripled up terry cloth pads. I used to have a '97 Thunderbird that was metallic red, the first time I did this the car looked like I could dip my arm about elbow deep in the clearcoat.

The forum won't let me insert a hyperlink, but google detailsupplydepot . Their prices seem to be about as good as what I used to get from my distributor.

Both products go a long way.

Good luck.

*And no, I don't work for Malco or any other detail supplier, these things just worked well for me over the years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.