Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
2005 Power Wagon # 2550
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I don't have time to get my truck to a dealer before I go outof town so I'm wondering if anyone might know what is wrong with my truck now.

I noticed this a few weeks ago. As I go down the road, and I especially notice it going slow through residential streets, I hear a loud clicking/clacking noise, about 2 clicks per second coming from what seems to be the front/driver's wheel area. It slows as I slow.

It doesn't seem to be related to brakes. I thought at first it might be the wheel hub, since my 94 Ram made a similar sound as it's failed, but I also found that the sound goes away when it is placed in 4wd.

The 4wd seems like it takes about 15-20 seconds after the indicator light says 2WD to actually fully disengage and I'm wondering if this might be all related to some kind of xfer case problem. I also notice a slight, deep, hiss sound when in 4wd.

I can't wait to take this to the dealer, 50,000 miles and I've had nothing but problems for the last 15,000 or so. Maybe those rumors about vehicles lasting just longer than warranty are true...

please help!

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know much about the 4x4's but usually a hissing sound would be a vacuum leak. Maybe a vacuum hose that takes it in and out of 4 wheel drive is leaking and it's having trouble getting into and all the way out of 4 wheel drive? Just a guess though.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
One of my friends was messing with me and put a large nylon zip strip around my drive shaft. Made a hell of a racket. Are your front CV boots okay?

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
(senglehart) I doubt he has CV boots as his truck is a 2500 (solid front).

I have had a bunch of problems with the U-joints on my ram. Your noise sounds like the noises my rig was making. I get after it pretty hard on and off road and at 35000 miles i have replaced every u-joint on my truck. I noticed a difference in the noise when i switched from 2 to 4 wheel drive. Pretty easy to tell if their shot or not. If the needle bearings are shot the little rubber boot tends to seperate and there will be a large gap. I could actually see chuncks or bearing sticking out of mine on two occasions.
If this happens to be your problem, be sure to replace them with servicable joints and not the sealed/non zerted crap that comes factory. I grease mine once a month now and haven't had any problems.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sure you don't have a roofing nail in a tire? Also about the dealerships, some of those rumors are true. Not so much the vehicle lasting just past warranty but dealerships sabotaging (sp?) vehicles. I try to do all the maintenance I can on my own vehicle and what I can't do I take it to a family owned dealership. I read less complaints from family owned dealerships than I do from corporate owned dealerships. I witnessed a guy getting scammed at one corporate owned dealership. I haven't been back there and I encouraged him to go to a family owned dealership just a few miles away for a second opinion. He had his oil changed the day before and alluva sudden he had an oil leak at the front of his motor where the oil filter is the next morning. He was back at the dealership with them telling him his intake manifold was leaking oil at the rear of his motor and would cost over $700. In my opinion over $700 for them to remove the old filter gasket or properly install the new one. I was about to lose my cool about it and it wasn't even my vehicle. The reason I was there was to get a wheel replaced under warranty on my '03. They replaced the wheel and used a rubber valve stem. The 2500-3500s use a metal valve stem for the high tire pressure. Short story the told me it was fine "f-off" in other words. I took it to the family owned dealership and had it done right for $12. They couldn't warranty work done by the scam dealership. I just wanted it right and forget about it. I asked if the other guy showed up. He said yes and they get a lot of business from unhappy customers from the other corporate owned dealership. Not DC owned. It's a national chain that owns many car make dealerships. Sales are just as deceptive.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It could just be a rock in your tire. I get em in mine all the time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Could be the transfer case...mine was making a clicking noise...and it took forever for it come out of 4wd. Take it to the dealer...they said i had opend up a bearing by an inch...

·
******* rocket
4 Posts
Can i ask how bald are your rear tires? i know my tires were bald and with the 4x4 on soon as id turn it off ( idicator switch to 2wd ) when i really wasnt then a lil while later it would clunk and jump/studder real hard then it finally disengauged.. i take it you have the electronic transfer case. i replaced the rear tires and all that disapeared, if they arnt bald. check pressures then check your U-joints for play.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. When moving very slowly (under 20 mph) there is a clicking noise from both the front and rear wheels as I roll forward. It only happens when I have the transmission in Drive and I back off the throttle and roll forward in slow traffic or at a stop light. It is definately coming from all 4 wheels and it sounds like something metal is rolling around in the wheel.

·
sans sanity
1,565 Posts
Is the truck he's refering to the same one in his sig(2500)? if so...it should have a solid front axle. Or did i miss something?

2-Stroke said:
i vote for CV joints going bad from what I you have described...

·
Registered
713 Posts
My dakota made the noise you described... it went away when put in 4WD using the electronic switch... when back in 2WD, click-clack, click-clack...

Took it to the dealer, they had to rebuild the transfer case... evidently a fork that engages 4WD was binding when the solenoid would attempt to disengage it... so it was almost still in 4WD. Take it in quick or it could fill the transfer with shavings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine is a 1500 4x4 and it makes the clicking noise when rolling forward slowly. I haven't tried to engage the 4wd to see if still makes the noise but I will give it a shot. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
713 Posts
Is the CAD on the heavy duties still vacuum operated? Could be a leak there and not fully disengaging the front drive shaft... that'd explain the hissing noise too.

·
2005 Power Wagon # 2550
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hey guys, sorry for the delay in response, and thanks for all the insight.

It is a 2500. It seems to be coming from the front driver's wheel. I put it up on the jack and spun it only a short distance in either direction and it could click once. No play in the wheel. The sound mimics the noise of that lug/wheel/cover part, dull metallic sound. For fun I plan to take it off and drive down the road.

I do notice it mostly when decelerating or coasting and I think the only reason I don't notice it at higher speeds is wind noise.

The 4wd noise isn't so much a hiss (like air) as a hiss like something less than perfectly lubricated. Real low and dull sound.

I'm sick of dealing with loaners and other ways to get to work. So I'm actually trying to fix my Stealth so I have something to drive!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.