·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Link doesn't work!

·
16oz. to freedom!
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bloomberg has been having problems all day. Try to go to www.bloomberg.com it dosent work for me now.

·
Jeep Driver
32,497 Posts
I think this is Nissan admitting it's full-sized truck experiment (aka the Titan) has failed, and it needs to partner with a stronger truck manufacturer to have any real chance of turning a profit on a full-sized truck in the future.

On the flip side, Chrysler could benefit from use of a small car platform or even just some more fuel efficient engines.

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
The prospect of some of those silky smooth Nissan VQ motors in a Chrysler product sure as hell appeals to me. Those motors are superior to just about any other V6 on the market.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
Chrysler, Nissan talk cooperation

The Detroit News

Chrysler LLC and Nissan Motor Co., a Japanese automaker in search of an American partner, are in talks on possible ways to help each other develop new vehicles, people familiar with the situation said Thursday.

They said the discussions began in the summer after Daimler AG agreed to sell Chrysler to Cerberus Capital Management LP.

At this stage, the talks are limited to technical cooperation: Nissan is interested in Chrysler's expertise in full-size truck manufacturing, while the newly private Auburn Hills automaker wants to tap Nissan's strength in developing appealing small cars.

The two automakers are not discussing the kind of over-arching alliance, including equity stakes, that Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn was seeking last year with General Motors Corp., the sources said.

GM's management, backed by its board, rebuffed Ghosn's proposal last year to form a three-way alliance of GM, Nissan and its controlling shareholder, France's Renault SA.

Chrysler Chairman and CEO Bob Nardelli told reporters at the automaker's holiday party Thursday that he had not spoken with Ghosn. But he said Chrysler needed to look at potential global partnerships.

Nissan declined to comment on the talks, which were first reported by Bloomberg News.

"Nissan has no comment on this," said Fred Standish, a U.S.-based Nissan spokesman.

Both companies already have forged cooperative deals with other automakers. Chrysler will produce a minivan for Volkswagen AG in North America, while Nissan collaborates with Suzuki Motor Corp. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. on minicar production. Nissan also said this week that it would build a mid-size pickup based on its Frontier for Suzuki at its Smyrna, Tenn., plant.

"It's an industry facing serious technological challenges as carbon dioxide becomes more of an issue in Europe, and emissions become more of an issue here," said Rebecca Lindland, an auto analyst with Global Insight.

"The more they collaborate, the more money they'll have to fight the outside forces, which seem to be mounting," she said.

Chrysler, which lost money last year and expects to lose $1.6 billion this year, has reached a deal to obtain a subcompact from China's Chery Automobile. But Chrysler officials said recently that Chery did not yet have a model that met their standards.

The U.S. automaker, which generates most of its revenue on light truck sales, has been hurt by high gas prices, which have shifted consumer demand toward more fuel-efficient vehicles.

Chrysler also is seeking to expand faster outside North America, where it generates more than 80 percent of its sales.

At the Tokyo motor show in October, Ghosn said he still hoped to bring a U.S. automaker into the Renault-Nissan alliance, the world's fourth-largest grouping with 5.9 million in annual vehicle sales. But he said he wasn't actively seeking a partner "at the moment."

This year, while many automakers are struggling, Nissan is on an upswing. It is outpacing its major rivals in the U.S. market after rolling out attractive new cars, such as the redesigned Altima and Infiniti G cars.

Its new Versa subcompact is the best-seller in its class, but its Titan pickup has never achieved its full-year sales objectives. Titan sales are down 8.5 percent so far this year.

1,554 Posts
NJDodger said:
The prospect of some of those silky smooth Nissan VQ motors in a Chrysler product sure as hell appeals to me. Those motors are superior to just about any other V6 on the market.

Not anymore. The new Phoenix V6 engines made by Chrysler have even been chosen to be used in some Mercedes cars.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
SmokinMirror said:
Not anymore. The new Phoenix V6 engines made by Chrysler have even been chosen to be used in some Mercedes cars.
You have demo'd both the VQ engines and the new pheonix engines back to back? Just curious because I would like to test drive one of those new pheonix engines when they come out in a year or two.

·
Lets go DEVILS!!!
2,129 Posts
SmokinMirror said:
I'm not buying into the whole if it's in a Mercedes it has to be the best. I'd love to drive a vehicle with the Phoenix motor to see. I've driven several vehicles with the VQ motor and man they are amazing. Smooth, powerful, and howl like some kinda machine outta a sci-fi flick.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm not sure why they would pick Nissan as a partner. Last year I read where 4 of the bottom 10 in the J.D. Power quality survey were Nissans. Nissan blamed it on their American production lines!

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
NJDodger said:
I'm not buying into the whole if it's in a Mercedes it has to be the best. I'd love to drive a vehicle with the Phoenix motor to see. I've driven several vehicles with the VQ motor and man they are amazing. Smooth, powerful, and howl like some kinda machine outta a sci-fi flick.
Agree 100%, Nissan's V-6 is truly a world class engine.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Hercules said:
Agree 100%, Nissan's V-6 is truly a world class engine.
After all it's been on wards best 10 engines list for quite a numnber of years. I believe it's been on that list longer then any other engine.

1,554 Posts
fromanhb said:
You have demo'd both the VQ engines and the new pheonix engines back to back? Just curious because I would like to test drive one of those new pheonix engines when they come out in a year or two.

Oh so you have driven every V6 car made in 2007/08 so you would know how great it is… Are you a valet atd?

But yea I should doubt Chrysler's engines specs when 90% of the time they are underrated.
:thatfunny

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
SmokinMirror said:
Oh so you have driven every V6 car made in 2007/08 so you would know how great it is… Are you a valet atd?

But yea I should doubt Chrysler's engines specs when 90% of the time they are underrated.
:thatfunny
No need to be hostile I was merely curious. Thought you may have been in some kind of test group since you said the pheonix engines are better even though they aren't out yet. Was hoping you could offer us some insider info is all.

FYI the FX45 V8 isn't a VQ engine.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I don't think it'd be the greatest thing for Chrysler to do as Nissan isn't the best when it comes to quality or fit and finish. Nissan seems to have a new recall every week for one of their cars ( usually the Altima 2.5).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
SmokinMirror said:
Why because the cars are so light they make the engines seem powerful?

Friend of mine with a FX45 is getting 16mpg average and hes not hard on it.
No, because the latest version which is in the new G37 coupe, makes 330 hp NA, which is only 10 off the 5.7 Hemi.

As someone pointed out, the FX45 is a V8, the FX35 is the V6 version. Plus its a heavy AWD SUV. 16 for a V8 AWD SUV is pretty good, I would have expected more like 13.

·
rowdymopar
481 Posts
It easy to follow the leader

It's easy for someone else to follow the leader The new Hemi wene introduced in 03 blew everything else off the road now 5 years later there all starting to catch up ???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.