DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Dmentd_Dan
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at billet inserts but have seen to many around town. I don't want to just blend if you know what I mean. I got to thinking about just using what I have in a diff way. Has anyone chromed or know anyone who had had their honeycomb inserts chromed? I am thinking of doing this to mine. I have no idea what the cost would be, hopefully not to expensive. If anyone has done it I would love to see pics and know what it cost. Thanks

Oh yeah, I now have to replace the shell and psgr insert due to a large bird of some type! I don't know what it was just goo and feathers after it went through and hit the little cooler on psgr side at the bottom in front of the radiator and made a crescent moon bend in it. Didn't bust it thankfully, just wrecked the insert on the psgr side and made a small crack in the shell. Anyone wanna hook a brother up after switching out grills on their truck? I'd pay shipping... :help: :bawl: please...

·
Retired Guy
1,239 Posts
I checked with the local chrome plating company, they said it wouldn't be done due to the non-conductivity of the plastic.
Something about how they chrome stuff, it needs to conduct electricity.
that was a few years ago( like 2 ) so maybe some new method is out there now......

·
Been HEMIphied
1,933 Posts
Plastic can be plated. However, it has to be put through a sulfination process first. For one piece, it would be prohibitively expensive.

·
Dmentd_Dan
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the info everyone. I will check out that street scene grill. I thought it would be relatively cheap seeing how only the more expensive trucks get the painted grill shells and almost all others get the chromed shell. To me this said that chrome = cheaper than paint, cuz as much as the factories pinch pennies if painted shells were cheaper then every truck would have paint and the $$$ trucks would get chrome. Probably faulty logic on my part.
BTW just got the truck back tonight from having a sprayed liner installed (not on the top of the bed rails, just the interior so as not to goof up the looks) LOOKS INCREDIBLE! First time I ever did this and was nervous but it turned out better than I imagined. I got the dealer to throw it in when I bought the truck. They wouldn't budge on the price after a couple of back and forths so I started in on the extras for leveraging a better deal. it worked! They gave me a price 6k below book on my 05 and threw in a bed liner woo hoo! I woulda bought for the price alone but kept at em lol. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.