DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to drop a quick message to all fellow dodge truckers. Please be careful when installing car seats in the back. Do not use rubber mats or any other barrier between the seat and the car seat. I am a certified safe kids car seat installer (oooohh!!) and can tell you this is a really bad move. It cause the seat to slide in an accident. You may not be able to move it by hand, but it will move in a crash because the car seat looses it's purchase on the seat. This is your child's life, don't worry about the re-sale value of your car/truck! The seat will work fine in one of the outside positions, don't worry to much about putting it in the middle. I know with the height of my truck, I almost killed myself trying to get the boy in the seat when it was in the middle. The middle is preferred, but it is not improper to install in the outside seating position. To properly install:
1. Run the seatbelt through the back. (check the directions for the proper path).
2. Put your knee with all your weight into the seat.
3. Buckle the latch and pull the slack out.
4. Release the buckle, but hold the webbing so it doesn't move.
5. Attach the retainer clip (supplied, or purchased at the dealer for around a buck) near the buckle.
6. Re-insert the latch, it will be very snug, push all of your weight into the car seat.
7. Wiggle the seat by the bottom. There should not be more that 1/2-1" of movement at the base.
8. Follow the same steps for the webbed tether straps if you want to use those across the bottom with the anchors in the seat.
9. The top anchor strap may not get used depending on the car seat model. On my seats, the webbing couldn't snug enough to be useful because the trucks clip is right at the top of the seat and my safety seat clip was also at the top.
10. Check and make sure the front seat has some space between the childs legs and the back of the front seat. Remember, the top of the seat is designed to move forward in a crash. This is a deceleration process for the child. The seat pivots at the bottom. It needs room to move forward so the childs head and internal organs can move forward some in the crash without the sudden stop.
11. This will hold the seat in place. If you are worried about the marks, move the seat every month. Please don't risk your child's life trying to save your seats. Always follow the manufacturers directions, but this is a good guide for getting these things in. Good luck to anyone installing, and PM me if you need any help.
Call your local PD or FD or hospital, they can also get you help with the seats.

Remember: In SC it is a $1000.00 fine for littering, but it is a $55.00 fine for not having your child in a car seat. :huh:

·
Registered
23,004 Posts
Cool, thanks for the info. I will be needing it in about 5 more months :D

KB

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.