DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Trail Maker
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Head my advice always check them. I was doing 40 mph and the wheel came off. It hit my wheel well and then rolled accross traffic. The tire did not hit anyone (Still don't know how since it was full of traffic). I held the truck from pitching left (Drivers side front tire) I got it to the sholder. The truck skid for 200 feet on the rotor. and the Tire Rolled past me and rolled 300 feet. Just like it was a movie being filmed. The quater panel was pushed into my door (35 Inch tire is heavy) The drivers side door can not open. The shop had to order a lot my parts special because of so many aftermarket parts. Once the started into the front end they found lots O issues. So I will pretty much have a whole new front end when they are done. I guess that is good because the stuff needed to be replaced anyways. The body shop and tow driver think someone may have been trying to steal my wheels. The Pass side was loose too. Who knows. I guess it could have been worse I could have hit someone else or flipped it!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Are you sure you don't have an enemy?

·
Trail Maker
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wondered at first. You just never know. I don't think so though

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
oh that really sucks! i've had lug nuts loosen on me before but i've caught them in time. my cousin had a 95' dodge that was a lemon and had the wheel fly off the pickup 2 times...going 70 mph under warranty before he went for legal action.

mike

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
A good friend of mine has a '96 ram 4x4 with 285/75/16, his left front wheel came off on him saturday before last on the highway. He was stuck in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway. Basically same deal as you. There was 2 studs completely missing and 3 studs stripped. When the wheel went it ripped off his wheel molding and caused minor damage to the fender and door. He had enough time to call me for help before his wheel came rolling past him. He was lucky and I only had to replace the studs, lugs, rotor, wheel and tire. The passenger side had 3 relativly loose lugs as well. Although he is going through a nasty divorce I think his was due to not retorquing the lugs after his brother did the brakes about 4 months ago. Aluminum wheels can be a pia ...especially with larger tires.

So I second the checking your lugs. 5 minutes time can save alot of money. All the tire stores around here now have a disclaimer on their receipts about returning with in 100 miles to have them rechecked. Last summer Ford put out a TSB about rechecking the lugs on aluminum wheels with in 100 miles, I cant remember now if it was a specific model or all models but it specifically mentioned aluminum wheels.

·
Ram Racer
1,584 Posts
Up here some kids have taken up the habit of loosening lug nuts and waiting to see the mayhem. Hopefully thats not the case.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had lug nuts come loose, (ET mags with Uni-lug) but not on my truck. Hummmm. Check for enemies.... :mad:
I torque all my alloy wheels to 80foot/lbs every time. That's with a torque wrench, not a spring extension on the end of an impact gun. All my steel wheels get a heavy grunt with a 4-way!

·
Registered
60 Posts
well guys those are the kinds of things ya never want to happen. one of my previous trucks 1996 dakota club cab 4x4 had a wheel come loose once. i had just put on a new set of good year mtr tires. i was driving along with the windows down and stereo turned down, when i heard a clunk when i would apply the brakes. i got out and checked everything looked ok. i went a short distance back to my house, got out the torque wrench and found one front wheel half loose and one rear wheel half loose. iknow they were torqued and rechecked(cause im the one who did it) so i guess someone wanted my expensive wheels!! my neibour back a few years ago lost a set of rims and tires off his brand new truck right in his laneway while he was sleeping. i work in a truck/trailer garage and we retorque our wheels after they have been off and then again after 160 kms. we even run wheel checks on each lug nut(10) to indicate if a nut has turned. man do ya ever feel sore after retorqing 60 nuts at 500ft.lbs...lol people who purposly loosen someones wheels are totaly crazy! could end up injuring/killing several people! anyway boyz just had to "vent" a little.....keep up the good work and check those NUTS !!!

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts
Not as bad as having the C-clip in the differential on my Dad's old truck snap in two while going 65mph. :crazy:

To make a long story short: the Blue Thunder received extra dents and scratches in the outer bed panels while a 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier's 2.2L I4 got skewered. :shocked:

It was a funny sight: this Cavalier parked along the road leaking fluids with this huge dirty wheel stuck in its front end with the axle shaft impaling the radiator and four banger. :D

·
Trail Maker
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got the estimate ------ $3,237.40

·
The Legendary Cross Ram
3,696 Posts

·
Bushwacker!
2,787 Posts
Insurance!

·
Illinois Boy
1,018 Posts
After reading this I am going out and checking my nuts!!!

But if I was driving and my wheel came off and then I saw it pass me, I would kinda laugh at smile. Id run after it and be like MY TIRE!!

·
Dodge Fan
27 Posts
CoreySS said:
After reading this I am going out and checking my nuts!!!

But if I was driving and my wheel came off and then I saw it pass me, I would kinda laugh at smile. Id run after it and be like MY TIRE!!
:thatfunny
Reminds me of this one time I was riding in this girls Cavalier and the hood flew off and bounced off the windshield...it got ran over about four times before I gathered the courage to run out and get it!

Getting back on topic, I'll be checking mine next time I'm out there.

·
Registered
842 Posts
lmao... Nothin like havin the hood come up and smash the window is there.
Also remember that when you rotate your tires to clean the back side of an alloy wheel very well. They will corode and the corosion will break loose when you drive and then you will have a loose wheel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.