DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I'm in the (touchless) car wash, my 'Check Gauges' light will come on for about 10 seconds. At the same time, my Battery Gauge drops all the way to the left - again for about 10 seconds.

The 'Check Gauges' and 'Battery Gauge' both behave normally after the short 10 seconds in the car wash.

When I get out of the car wash, I look under the hood and see there is water on the battery connections - could that be the problem?

The truck is fully serviced - all fluids are good, new plugs, HT Leads, Distributor Cap and Rotor - even a new petrol filler cap.

Not to be-labour the point, but I'm referring to the 'Check Gauges' light NOT the 'Check Engine' light.

Thanks

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
mine did this ..... come to find out the idler/tension pulley soon went bad

BTW check ur belt!

belt was binding up not spinning... the bearings in idler/tension pulley froze up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TheSilverV6 - I'll check the belt.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Sounds like something electrical is obviously getting wet and the truck doesn't like it. I can take mine to a drive-in bay car wash where you do-it-yourself and use the high pressure wash/rinse on the engine without any problems. So I don't think having some water on the battery is causing this. But I do think something else is getting wet that isn't suppose to. Investigate further by trying a hose or something until the light comes on. Probably something not sealed just right. Probably will be a simple fix. The hard thing will be finding it.

·
Tricked out Ram
12,615 Posts
Even if water on the battery (and if its on the batt it is on the fuse block also) isnt the issue, keep in mind water and electricity DO NOT mix.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Even if water on the battery (and if its on the batt it is on the fuse block also) isnt the issue, keep in mind water and electricity DO NOT mix.
True, however, most things today are sealed to the point the a splash or spray of water is not going to affect them if they are sealed properly. Only if they are submerged. Even one of our most vital parts is the ignition system. I promise you that you are not going to get it wet and if you do...something isn't sealed.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I have had cars in the past (long time ago) that would do the same thing after going through a large puddle. Water got in between the belt and the pulley. You gots a 2002, so if you have not replaced the belt, you are due. I makes sense to replace the tension pulley at the same time because also have a limited life.

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
Wet belt

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: Thanks guys. I got the belt replaced and I'm not having that problem anymore!

:D

·
Registered
380 Posts
:hijacked: Do '02s have a distributor on them? :huh:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep Yep - recently had my Rotor, Cap, HT Leads changed and new plugs!!!

Concentrating on finding a good pair of projectors and HID 'Plug and Play' now! (My wife is doing the research - she posted on one of the forums here - per Silver's advice I think) :thatfunny

·
Registered
768 Posts
Wow this is the first time I have ever heard of such. Normally to turn on any kind of light on the dash you would think electrical, ie, check guages, throttle light, engine light, etc. If enough water was getting on the belt to allow it to slip then I would think 1 of at least 2 lights would come on. First if you have a voltage drop due to belt slippage you battery light should come on to indicate a charging problem. Then depending on how long the voltage drop is present and how low it goes (below 10.0 volts) it should set a code in your ECM which would turn on your MIL (Malfunction Illumination) or Check Engine Light. This is really weird and I am having trouble following it in my mind. However, I am glad to know that it apparently fixed it. Good job and great advice from The Silver V-6!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
the 5.9 in 02 has a distributor. I only use touchless washes in winter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.