DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I stop at a light or sometimes when I just slow down my gages will show my oil at zero and the check gages light will pop on. But after a couple seconds it will go off and everything will go back to normal. I did a rough check and everything seems fine. Any ideas?

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
DANGER, DANGER

If your oil pressure is dropping off and your check engine light is coming on, I would stop driving the vehicle immediately!! You could have an engine killing problem about ready to hit!!

Have someone check for codes with a scan tool. (I dont think the 99's had the OBDCII which allows the owner to check for codes on the display)

It is possible that you have a gauge/sensor problem, but it is also possible that you have a problem with the oil pressure that could starve critical components of their life blood.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
This is why I hate dummy light systems. I like to see actual psi on my oil gage and true temp on the temp gage, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm sure it's a gauge problem. (just looked at my last post. wow i'm good at spelling.) Just can't find the source.

·
Banned
8,865 Posts
why are you sure that it is a gage problem

PS Gage or gauge are both accepted spellings.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
99's have the key trick. Only 98's don't IIRC...

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Side note - same topic - my house has a particularly steep driveway (my friend's truck [insert Ford comment] squeels the tires while trying to back up it). If I go out and start my Durango in the mornings to warm it up while I'm getting ready, whenever I get in, the oil temp guage is sitting on zero and the "Check Guages" light is on. As soon as I drive off, the oil temp guage begins working and the light goes off. I'm not exactly sure where the thermometer is, but I'm wondering if the angle I'm sitting at is causing the oil to not touch the thermometer (or worse yet, the oil isn't being picked up at all but I would imagine if this was the case I would have run into a serious problem by now).

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There is no oil temp guage. The only temperature guage is for the engine coolant (water). Of course when the engine is cold the water temperature guage is at the bottom of the scale.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess it could be something other than the gauges but I've checked the oil etc and everything seems normal. It could just be the sensor going bad? I honestly don't know but I do know if I take it to the dodge dealer it will be at least a $1000 bill. I've had problems with the dealer in town so I'd like to try to fix it on my own or at least find the specific problem and tell them exactly what to do or else they'll find some mystery part from africa that my truck is missing. Is there a list of things I should check to better judge what's wrong? I'm no expert on engines but hoping to learn more every chance I get. Thanks for the help.

·
Certifiable User
284 Posts
Stop Driving it. Park It NOW. Doesnt matter where it is sitting shut it off.

Sounds like sludge build up on/near the pickup screen. Normally if it's a sending unit issue the gauge will not move on a cool/cold startup then pops up to normal and will be fine untill the next time it sits. If it's doing it once warm it is most likely sludge clogging the pickup screen in the oil pan. I have seen many a posts in regards to this issue. 5.2L are notorious for this very same issue. Do a search here or one of the other popular Dodge forums for "sludge". All your doing by continuing to drive it is destroying the bearings. They call them idiot lights for a reason. An engine needs about 12-15 psi at idle for proper lubrication, yet most idiot lights will not come on untill you drop below about 7PSI.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Next time it moves it'll be on it's way to the dealer. :(

·
2000 Durango R/T
1,065 Posts
Neil F. said:
There is no oil temp guage. The only temperature guage is for the engine coolant (water). Of course when the engine is cold the water temperature guage is at the bottom of the scale.
Yea, I'm an idiot. I blew a radiator hose in my old explorer and that guage pegged - I knew it was engine temp but didn't think about it while posting. Just ignore me. :)

·
I Pitty Da Foo!
7 Posts
It's the sludge. You'll have to pull the pan, clean/replace the pump screen and flush the rest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.