DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put in a new intake, slipped the sensor into the intake (all the way), only problem im having is, i cant get the "check engine" light to go out... i tried sticking the sensor all the way into the intake but nothing prevailed. any options?

·
Registered
20 Posts
did you try just disconnecting the battery overnight?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Or for about 30 seconds, which ever is quicker...lol

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Disconnect the negative cable and turn the key to ON for 30 seconds.

·
Spending
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Hey Neil, I wonder who started the "key on for 30 seconds" thing originally? I've cleared three codes with the neg cable alone, so I wonder if this is an urban myth...

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
I don't think it's a myth.

1. Ask on the DOC, that's I first heard of it. Fastman also told me the same.
2. If a problem has really been corrected, the lamp should go out as right away.

·
Registered
827 Posts
on older pcm equipped vehicles most times you could get away with disconnecting the - for ten seconds or so to clear the light. now , in most cases that won't work.

two ways that i clear codes when scan tool isn't available are:

disconnect - and turn key to run for 30-60 seconds OR disconnect both + and - touch them together and hold them together for 30-600 seconds.

both methods discharge the capacitors in the pcm, basically killing the keep alive memory. both methods also kill any adaptive strategy learned. fuel trims, pulse widths and others are reset to base values and must be relearned by driving. SOMETIMES resetting adaptives is not a good thing.

i prefer using a scan tool to reset but sometimes not handy.
to correct neil f, MOST codes will NOT reset themselves until a number of key cycles or warm up cycles or readiness test passes have completed. some(open or shorted) types will reset and turn out the light but there will still be history codes that can be accessed with scan tool.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
So did the code go away or what?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.