DodgeTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone else have their check engine light come on sporadically during the first few thousand miles of engine break in?

as of right now, i have 3400 miles on my 6.7 and I've had the check engine like come on four times. Each time it came on, it would chime once and just stay on... according to the manual its not urgent if it does that. The light its self would stay on for anywhere from an hour to 5 hours and then finally go off. Now, I'll be the first to say.... I dont exactly drive like a blue hair and I have done a burnout or two in this thing. Could that in combination with all the new emissions hardware be whats causing that?

I havnt taken it to the dealership yet because the light ends up turning off.... but Im kinda curious as to whats going on.

Thanks guys!

· Registered
36,020 Posts
It is probably the improper throttle position. Turn the key on and off three times without starting and see if you get a code or two where the odometer usually is. It will read done when you have the codes read. Make sure to have a pen and paper handy.

· Registered
36,020 Posts
P245A, Turbo Boost Solenoid A Low

It is recommended that you use the Jake Brake a couple of times a week in tow/haul mode to prevent the soot build up on the waste gate slides. Apparently the electronic waste gate (as opposed to the vaccum waste gate of the 5.9) opens and closes through the full range of motion whenever the key is turned on and whenever the jake brake is activated.

This is supposed to clean any soot that has accumulated on the slides that the gate rides on and prevent them from sticking, which is what spikes the voltage to the computer and turns on the light.

· Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
will the code turn off once I start using jake brake and tow haul more often?

Funny thing is I thought i was using the jake enough.... love the way it sounds!

BTW... is there a place that list all the different codes and what they mean?

· Registered
36,020 Posts
There is a generic code list in the 3G performance section but that code isn't on it. The code should clear itself with keystrokes

· Registered
36,020 Posts
Turning the key on and starting the truck is a key stroke. After starting and stopping the truck many times the codes clear. I don't remember exactly how many but it was 20 or more.

· Registered
344 Posts
Ram3500Dually said:
It is probably the improper throttle position. Turn the key on and off three times without starting and see if you get a code or two where the odometer usually is. It will read done when you have the codes read. Make sure to have a pen and paper handy.
does that work with the 5.9L too or is it for the 6.7L only ?

· Registered
36,020 Posts
It works on later 5.9's, not sure about earlier ones

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.