DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and yes i'm refering to the original in my R/T...it's peeling again, after 2 yrs of being replaced under warranty for the same reason. So i'm not planning on giving dodge a dime for a new cheapo wheel. What would be a good option to replace the steering wheel, any ideas?

·
Keystoner
5,534 Posts
chant74 said:
and yes i'm refering to the original in my R/T...it's peeling again, after 2 yrs of being replaced under warranty for the same reason. So i'm not planning on giving dodge a dime for a new cheapo wheel. What would be a good option to replace the steering wheel, any ideas?
what part is peeling? send it to http://www.phoenix-image.com

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the outer ring, in particular the top part...it just began to peel last week, but since the original wheel started like that, i know how bad it's going to get.

·
Hummer Recovery Vehicle
6,250 Posts
maybe consider keeping the original wheel, since it houses the airbag, and just put on one of the wood finished rings that snap on. i can't remember who makes them though

·
Registered
518 Posts
The problem is that it's a Federal Offense to remove the Airbag out of a vehicle that is equipped with one, so you kinda have to get another Dodge steering wheel, and do what either Rock, or cbrenn said.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Chant, tell Cujo to get his own ride. Really, this is a leather one?

·
Registered
68 Posts
chant74 said:
Exactly the same with mine... I was wondering if anyone else was having this problem... I just bought one of those cheesey stretch on covers, I would like to get it redone though, but I am sure t won't be cheap... maybe recovered with quality material this time, that wont get all old and flake...

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
It must be the amount of acid on your fingers that degrade the material, my work ride's steering wheel has the finish worn off (it looks like it's dirty) but it's not peeling.
On my wife's old T+C, her fingertips would blister the radio area trim paint, but I was able to just press it back on.
Maybe you guys have some of Cujo in your blood, that dog pissed acid.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yes I have seen a number of posts on the Durango Owners Club forum that the peeling finsh on the wheel is common.

·
WORLD'S GREATEST TRUCK
4,435 Posts
Neil F. said:
Yes I have seen a number of posts on the Durango Owners Club forum that the peeling finsh on the wheel is common.
Jeez, my wife's wheel is fine, it was only the dash that did that.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i guess the acidity of each one's sweat can affect the leather on the long run, but i have to say that dodge still used cheap leather on both the steering wheels i've had on my D; my 98 trans-am has has had my hands on it's wheel way longer than my D, without a problem. And I still can't decide on what to do with mine?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.