DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get some wider tires for the back of my truck because I cant get traction for chit after the new tq converter went in. So, I'm thinking about running a 305/40/22 in the rear and a 265/40/22 up front...and Toyo and Falken are the only 2 I know of that make both of these sizes. The Toyos are speed rated though, so I would like to go that route. So where is the cheapest place to buy them??? I dont want to spend $1000 on tires again, so what do you guys recommend??

Also, tell me if you think this is a stupid idea and maybe I should just save the money and continue to burn up the 22" tires I have now.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
In essence a wider tire would help you get traction, but with the pattern that is on the tire and the fact that it is usually a harder tire due to how thin it is, you usually wont see any gain just by going up on tire side. now if you were running a 17 tire then that would see the most gain since it is a softer compound. The only way to truly get traction from a street tire is to run a street slick, but they dont make those in 22 inch size(although they should). Lastly, with any truck that is highly modified, you are almost garaunteed to have traction problems. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to stick with the same tire, let some air out, buy some of that sticky spray for when you do go to the track, and maybe add some weight to the rearend. These are things you probably already know but they have to be mentioned. Sorry for the story but thats just my $.02

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BIG BLK 5.7 said:
In essence a wider tire would help you get traction, but with the pattern that is on the tire and the fact that it is usually a harder tire due to how thin it is, you usually wont see any gain just by going up on tire side. now if you were running a 17 tire then that would see the most gain since it is a softer compound. The only way to truly get traction from a street tire is to run a street slick, but they dont make those in 22 inch size(although they should). Lastly, with any truck that is highly modified, you are almost garaunteed to have traction problems. The best thing to do in my opinion would be to stick with the same tire, let some air out, buy some of that sticky spray for when you do go to the track, and maybe add some weight to the rearend. These are things you probably already know but they have to be mentioned. Sorry for the story but thats just my $.02
I have slicks for the track, so I am not worried about that...and I am running a 285/35/22 tire which is about 2" shorter that the 305/40/22...so even if it being wider doesnt help, the extra height is going to bring my gear ratio back down closere to the factory 3.92 to help reduce some of that of the line power thats making me spin so bad...so the 305/40/22 should help me out. Another option I am cond=sidering to hel pwith cost is to buy the 305/40/22 Wanli Tires and the Toyo's up front. They loko the same, and the Wanli's are abouthalf theprice...and since I will probably burning through those as well, I might as well buy the cheaper ones because they will be easier to replace.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1_ton_mega_cab said:
save the heavy foot for the track and stay off the gas pedal on the streets

you will save money in tires and gas
Now wheres the fun in that??? HAHAHA

I only get to drive my truck on the weekends because I have a cmpany vehicle I drive Mon-Fri...so I have to play in it when I get the chance.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
i agree hp450, is there anyway that you could get a taller tire or possibly a 3.73 ratio in the rear end.

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BIG BLK 5.7 said:
i agree hp450, is there anyway that you could get a taller tire or possibly a 3.73 ratio in the rear end.
Thats why I want the 305/40's...they are about 2" taller than the 285/35's I have now...so they would effectivekly drop my gear ratio to help me keep the tires on the ground at low rpms...I honestly cant keep the tires on the ground at anything less than a 30 punch.

·
OFFICIAL CHEBBY HATER
1,389 Posts
no i meant taller than that with the drop that you currently have

·
Registered
28,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BIG BLK 5.7 said:
no i meant taller than that with the drop that you currently have
Oh OK...the 305/40 is as tall as I can go before I start having clearance issues...I might even bump the fenders once or twice with the 305/40's...so going taller than that wont work.

·
Hemi2nV
7,813 Posts
go 305/40/22 all the way around. They will clear fine. Then you can rotate them however u want. Go with nittos 420s they are an awesome tire. Prettty pricey tho but awesome traction. I can only chirp my tires now instead of burning through 2nd gear with my stock 20s from a mash. So its time for some more go fast goodies :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.