DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
02 Ram Sport
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:IDEA: A friend of mine once told me that in order to have framers like your product they have to be able to fix them in the field. So I put on my John Deere hat and thought about this. Actually I had a 94 Ram that the pinion bearing went and found that it had adjusters instead of shims. I was doing this on jack stands in the open about 150 feet from the ocean in a condo I lived in at the time. Any way I did not have any special tools to do the adjustment. It was suggested to use a screw driver to tighten the adjustor's.
Fine for a start, but to do it right, you need 75 foot lbs. Here is my idea

_You need a 1 1/2 nut an bolt by 1 or 1 1/2 length

_a 1 1/2 x 3/4 socket and extension

_also you will need to remove the wheel bearings so the socket will fit

I just ordered, form rock auto, both bearings and seals for $30.00 delivered and you can get the slide hammer and puller for free at auto zone with their tool loner program.

First a look at the Special Tool actually the 1 1/2 nut and bolt!
2.jpg
Notice it doesn't fit at first. You need to do some filing to make the fit. The nut needs less filing. It will fit the nut first but don't go over the bolt so the Assembly will not push through
3.jpg
after a Little file work
4.JPG
This pic shows the tool inserted into the adjuster and ready for install
6.JPG
I had to use a long extension to make it fit. It probably looses some torque in the rotation of the extension so a longer
3/4 extension would be better also some duct tape holding the tool to the socket will make it easier to remove without loosing it in the axle
7.JPG
Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
So this only tightens the adjuster back on right? If you were to turn it to the left(backing the adjuster away from the carrier) the nut would come off? How would you get the adjuster out then?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts