DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm gonna use this SuperFlow Chassis dyno Model#Auto-Dyne30 on my W-150. The engine is a stock 5.9 magnum with Holley 670 Truck Avenger carb, RV Comp Cams cam, a little bit more lift than the stock 5.9 magnum cam but almost the same specs otherwise, Hooker 1 5/8" headers into 3" collectors 2 1/2" exhaust system. Anyone wanna guess the HP production? I'm gonna set the roller up to 5,000 RPM's(Max) my tires arent rated for the kind of speeds I would like to take it too but the engine should have the peak numbers well before this anyways. (This Dyno is a 3 phase eddy current dyno capable of holding up to 2,000 HP)

Attachments

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
What intake?

I'm gonna guess 225-250 whp, maybe 400 tq. Stock 5.9 w/ efi is 250 crank hp, w/ the carb and cam you're probably at around 275-285. It's running through a trans, t-case, d-shaft and rear end though.

·
Originating Member
35,160 Posts
always liked that truck

will be interested to hear the numbers

You probably know this already, but if you are using a dyno, and then doing a bunch of wrenching / tuning, IMHO its important to use the same dyno next time around to do numbers comparison

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, it has an Eds AirGap,(dual plane). Yes, it's the only SuperFlow chassis dyno in our town. Thanks for advice. Anyone else want to guess RWHP&T,(Rear Wheel Horsepower&Torque)? I myself am going to guess 200HP/260TQ. We have the correction factor set pretty 'accurately' I dont think the percentages,(Total), is more than 24%. But after the dyno pull I will report the correction factor,(actual) used during testing,(Tue. evening June 2)

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
No way guy, you should make at least 300+ tq, the 5.9 makes 335 crank tq stock. You may not get 400, but I bet it's at least 330 at the wheels.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No way guy, you should make at least 300+ tq, the 5.9 makes 335 crank tq stock. You may not get 400, but I bet it's at least 330 at the wheels.
I hope so Speed!:tup: I'm purposely being conservative that way I'll be much happier when it exceeds my short expectations:D Also, I will try and get a stock air cleaner housing with paper filter, and make a pull with it, then put my K&N X-Stream 360 degree unit back on and see if there's a change. This will give us valuable data in regards to performance parts hype or actually work as advertised.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Definitely. When is it going on the rollers?

Edit: Where are the rollers anyway? I don't see them in the pic.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It goes on Tue. eve. May 2 here the roller's the RED line is the measured roller, the Yellow line is the centering roller. The vehicle is centered on the driven roller, then the other roller is what is used for the vehicles track,(width). Other wise the roller will 'eat' the tire. The vehicle is strapped down 'X' wise,(minimum of 4 tie downs and as many as 6), because it WILL move around a bit under power. I'll show it all Tue. Even. thanks for the interest. The record is 945 H.P. on this dyno set by a race drag car.(540 BBC with twin Holleys Dominator's and tunnelRam)

Attachments

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another (If you click on the pic it will make it larger and you can see the edge of the rollers,,they stick up about 6" and the tire is 'centered' on the backside of the rollers. The rollers have a textured surface just like a coarse file,,for traction,,but it can also eat rubber in a matter of seconds if not mounted correctly),,!!LOL

Attachments

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Do some runs with different ignition timing also.
Due to driveline losses I would expect to see ~ 200HP and 290 ft-lbs. at the peaks with correction for temp and barometer.
I think the exhaust and intake are a bit oversized for the cam and it will probably show in the torque curve.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll try and do just that 'B'! Thanks The headers are only 1 5/8"(primary size) Hookers. One of the very few available for this model. The Carb is only 670 CFM with a dual plane intake. In the late 70's Chrysler made 318's with 900 CFM ThermoQuads and dual plane intakes with 360 heads.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have Complete MSD Ignition. Billet Dizzy, 6A Box, BlasterII Coil, 8.8 mm SC wires, NGK FR-5 plugs. Timing is 34 degrees total, 16 initial, all in at 2600 RPM's Cam specs are 114 LSA .444 Intake lift 255 total duration, very mild RV/Truck Comp Cams cam. The ignition is left over from the 292/.509 cam and single plane and 750 Holley DP days.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
Well, I've run up to 23 degrees of initail on a 318 w/ a 340 4bbl cam, Performer intake and carb. But, 360's don't like as much timing as 318s do, so you're probably as close as you can get w/o pinging already. I'd be surprised if it'd take anymore than 1-2 degrees more timing. You might trying retarding a bit and see if it makes anymore power up top.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lots of initial helps the big cammed reversion from exhaust gasses type of powerplant. This is a mild cam plant. Yeah I could try twisting the dizzy to adjust the lead, but I think 34-36 is optimum. Thanks for the advice guys.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
A more efficient engine needs less timing. The 340 cam could be advanced as it was on the retarded side to deal with 10.5 to 1 compression and lower the brake mean effective pressure (BMEP) to keep it from pinging.
I would try and find what timing works best for different rpm's so you can recurve the distributor if needed.

·
AirFuelEddie
5,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Ok I placed the truck and ran 5 pulls. The average was 201 H.P. 318 ft. lbs. Torque,, we pulled it from 20 MPH to 100MPH which is pretty close to my prediction. Now for the really interesting part,,the air cleaner was taken off and it made 216 H.P. and only 301 ft. lbs. Torque. I think the lack of an aircleaner induced turbulent air with the dyno fan blowing on the front end for cooling, but after the RPM's increased to a point the extra air flow produced more H.P. but a 15 H.P. increase just by removing the air cleaner assembly!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.