DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1992 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L

Today i noticed that the dash voltmeter was reading high. I put a voltmeter on the battery (needle type) and it was just under 16vdc.

Also, as i was driving, the dash voltmeter was almost 18v. I pulled in to my driveway and left it running and grabbed the voltmeter and it read just under 16v. I then revved the engine and the needle stayed rock solid. I looked at the dash voltmeter and it had dropped down a little, so i think i really had more than 16v as i was driving.

It appears that the voltage regulator for the alternator is built in to the PCM (engine computer) so i am not sure what to do/check next.

·
Registered
477 Posts
1992 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L

Today i noticed that the dash voltmeter was reading high. I put a voltmeter on the battery (needle type) and it was just under 16vdc.

Also, as i was driving, the dash voltmeter was almost 18v. I pulled in to my driveway and left it running and grabbed the voltmeter and it read just under 16v. I then revved the engine and the needle stayed rock solid. I looked at the dash voltmeter and it had dropped down a little, so i think i really had more than 16v as i was driving.

It appears that the voltage regulator for the alternator is built in to the PCM (engine computer) so i am not sure what to do/check next.
Stop by AutoZone. They will do a simple diagnostic for you at no charge (no pun intended). Have them check the battery and alternator.

Your alternator is capable of producing more than 14 volts as you correctly stated. If it's not regulated, you will get an over voltage problem. Post back the results of their test and we'll go from there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts