DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my picture ridden first timer how-to change your oil. This applies to about any car or truck but this was done on my 2005 Dodge Dakota with the 3.7L V6.

Step one: Buy new oil
I'm a big fan of syntheic oils, and I've been using Mobil 1 5W-30 in my truck since day one. But this time I got a wild hair in my butt and decided to try out AMSOIL. I bought 5 Quarts of 0W-30 Signature Series, a AMSOIL oil filter (#EA034), and a bottle of motor flush.

Step two: Prepare your workspace
This basically means to have all your tools handy and a clean place to work. You'll need a 1/2 inch wrench for the drain pan bolt and an oil filter wrench. Other things that are good to have are gloves, shop towels, safety glasses, and a creeper. Another thing is you'll need a means to lift and secure the truck, either a jack and jack stands or ramps, and make sure there rated to support your truck.

Step three: Motor flush (optional)
If you have decided to use a motor flush then now is the time to do it. Locate the oil fill cap and take it off. Then pour in the reccommend amount of motor flush and let it idle for awhile. Read the back of the bottle, every flush has it's own directions.

Step four: Lift and secure truck
Like I said there are two ways of doing this; a jack and jack stand or ramps. I use ramps. Simply drive up the ramps slowly with one foot on the gas and one on the brake. This is a little tricky the first few times you do it. once your on the ramps, put the emergency brake on.

Step five: Drain oil
Now take your drain pan and place it under the oil drain plug. Get your 1/2 inch wrench and lay down on your creeper and scoot under. remove the drain bolt and let the oil drain out. Let it keep draining till it only drips. Replace drain bolt.

Step six: Remove oil filter
Now take your oil filter wrench and loosen the oil filer. This can sometimes be a pain in the ass. This is why everyone loves the K&N oil filters, as they come with a 1 inch nut on the end to make this alot easier. If worse come to worse, take a hammer and a screwdriver and drive the screwdriver through the oil filter and now you have instant leverage.

Step seven: Install new oil filter
Now take that nice new oil filter and lube the gasket ring along the top with some of your fresh oil. Then fill up the filter about 3/4 of the way to avoid a dry start. Now just screw it on hand tight.

Step eight: Empty oil catch can (only if you have one installed)
I have an oil catch can on my truck to keep oil blow-by from being sucked back into the intake. Billet Technologies makes them and I highly reccomend this mod.

Step nine: Fill with new oil
Now stand back up and pour in your new oil

Step ten: Clean up
Take the drain pan and empty into a large bottle. This is why I like buying my oil in gallon or five quart jugs. Most local auto stores have free oil recycling, so there is no need to break the law and throw your old oil in the dumpster. Put away your tools away and your done.

Attachments

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
more pics

Attachments

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Euipment:

Attachments

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why people like K&N oil filters:

Attachments

·
Devil's Advocate
8,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's always good to have a helping hand:

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
Are there torque specs for the oil drain bolt? Is there a gasket/washer that should be replaced? Are there torque specs for the oil filter?

·
Registered
516 Posts
maybe its just me but i dont torque the drain bolt or the filter.. hell the filter i usually just put it on by hand and only tighten it as much as i can with my hand..

gasket/washer on the drain bolt usually only needs replaced if its leaking, and always double check the gasket on the oil filter when you take the old one off to make sure it didnt stick

1 - 7 of 7 Posts