DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need alittle bit of help here, im changing my trans fluid droping the pan and so on. but to get rid of the fluid in the torque converter how do you do that?? AMSOIL website says to disconnect the tranny cooler but when i was looking at mine it looks like the they go staight to the trans. Do you disconnect them at the transmission?? any info would be great.... (the truck is a ram 5.7 '04)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do a search...... This was discussed a while back I believe. If I had more time, I'd do it for you.

·
Registered
406 Posts
If you let the trans drain long enough most of the torque converter fluid will come out also. When you fill up run the trans. from park to neutral to drive several times in order to pump the fluid back into the TC. After driving for awhile recheck the level.

·
Registered
42 Posts
olsarge said:
If you let the trans drain long enough most of the torque converter fluid will come out also. When you fill up run the trans. from park to neutral to drive several times in order to pump the fluid back into the TC. After driving for awhile recheck the level.
That's not in line with what I've been told numerous time.... I've heard dropping the pan and letting the fluid drain will not get it out of the troque converter. The only way to get the fluid out of the torque converter is to do a flush. Do you know this as fact?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Drop the pan, remove the filter, let it drain 5 - 10 min, install the filter, fill it up.
If the fliud is so bad you think you need to flush it, you have more problems than the fluid. Make sure you use Mopar ATF +4, nothing else. Have fun.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Tranzman said:
Drop the pan, remove the filter, let it drain 5 - 10 min, install the filter, fill it up.
If the fliud is so bad you think you need to flush it, you have more problems than the fluid. Make sure you use Mopar ATF +4, nothing else. Have fun.

I don't buy into this theory. You're only changing roughly 50% of your tranny fluid. Why bother?....50% new....50% old. Do you only change part of your motor oil? No thanks! A flush is the way to go, IMO. To each his own though.....

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The manual only calls for service fills at intervals. I could not find anywhere in it where you needed a flush. If someone else does please direct me to the page number.

I have had 3 vehicles with flushes done on them after 20k, 2 of them had the transmissions go out. I will never flush another vehicle as long as I live. Drop the pan change the filters and fill it back up.

My family owns a hot rod shop North of where I live (late 60's early 70s era muscle cars) and refuses to flush transmissions after 30k. He believes theres a 50/50 chance of it going out; according to what hes seen. He also never uses the pumps that jiffy lube and other places have. he actually removes the torque converter inspects it and then puts it all back in. more work, but more thorough.

Some dealerships will not even change the filters, they will actually pump the trans fluid out through the filler neck. Ain't that something.

Also, if you follow schedule "A" in the factory manual, oil changes are every 6000 miles and tranny flush at the 100000 mark. Schedule B is more for towing taxi drivers desrt racers, etc. I am not going to wait that long but I think some of you may be stressing too much about sticking to that low mileage service schedule.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I went with the flush, not becuase tranny problems just up-grades.but IMO go with a flush.I went amsoil too but i'm only a 2002.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Engine oil needs to be changed because of the blow by & condensation that makes its way in the the oil, in return it gets dirty. There is nothing like this happening in an automatic transmission. The fluid is for hydraulic operation & lubrication. The only time it goes bad is if it gets over heated or an internal component has failed. If it is the original color, full & working good don't change it. If so do it the way it has been done since it was for the last 50 years. Drop, drain & install. If I recommend anything have a professional test drive it if you fell something weird & add a bottle of Lubeguard .Lubeguard can be purchase from any reputable transmission shop. Lubeguard will not fix a broken transmission or fix leaks. It just helps the trans run cooler & lubricate better. Well this is only my opinion, I will stop rambling & shut up now.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Dropping the pan and changing out the two filters is no problem. I don't like the pressurized flush either, that's why you just disconnect the lower return line and let the stuff that's still in the system pump through. No big deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.