DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the weekend I changed out the brake pads on my truck. I tell this story because of how much money I saved due to this, and the fact that it was relatively easy (having someone who knew what they were doing with me).

I knew I needed them so I got a quote from the dealer. He wanted to charge me $200 per axle to replace pads. Normally I am the kinda guy who would pay this because I have no other choice, I can't do this crap on my own. I got some help from my soon to be father in law, and it wasn't hard. He did the first one, then told me to do the rest.

I grabbed the new pads from advanced auto parts who of course sold me the wrong pads for the front. So I got the pads for $50 roughly, and with free labor saved myself a ton of money over what the dealership wanted to charge.

It kinda taught me to do it myself whenever I can because it only took about an hour and a half. I can't believe the dealer wanted to rape me like that.

(don't know if anyone cares, just thought I would share)

·
Registered
10,359 Posts
we had a guy in our shop the other day who was told by his "father-in-law" as well that he could simply throw on a set of pads on for him....................well....................his "father-in-law" had put Ford Explorer pads on a Ford Expedition which were clearly different in width,thickness and length!!!!!! he placed them on anyway and as they drove down the road pads started falling out of their mounts and when they showed at our shop only three pads out of four remained!!!! One was hanging on by a clip!!!!! Not all jobs are as easy as ones would like to believe.......I have even seen seasoned mechanics install calipers after the pads were on with the brake hoses "looped" in a position causing them to pinch closed during turns!!!! always double check your work and make sure you are installing the correct parts.........if not the job WILL cost more money after it is all said and done!!!!
Brian

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, that's a scary story... I admit brakes are a scary thing to mess with. I will agree with what you said

"always double check your work and make sure you are installing the correct parts"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Congratulations, I think it's great. I wish I could get my Son to take an intrest before he gets his first car, I mean Mopar. Some job are tough, and some aren't. :)

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe when he has the option of $400 or $50 for a car repair he will take interest. :)

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
tommiwan said:
Maybe when he has the option of $400 or $50 for a car repair he will take interest. :)
How many miles do you have? You didn't have to do the rear also did you? The place that wanted $200 per axle probably was going to turn the rotors, lube all points, and completely flush the system, then dispose of the old stuff. Did you do all of that? All pads are not created equal, it's my experience that dealer pads are a cut above the rest.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Yeah as long as you get the right parts and tools, a brake pad swap is a piece of cake. I changed the pads and rotors on my wife's jetta about a year ago and had the bently manual to walk me through it. Once i finished the first one it was a piece of cake. Not too long after I changed the pads and rotors on my brothers GTI and it took less than an hour. I can't remember what the dealer quoted me for the pad and rotor swap on the jetta but it was outrageous. Was sooo much cheaper to get the tools and parts and do it myself.

I'd rather do the maintenance work myself not only to save money but i think if you do most of the work yourself on your truck you develop a stronger bond with your truck. Only thing i'd have the dealer do is warranty covered items.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Josh Brown said:
How many miles do you have? You didn't have to do the rear also did you? The place that wanted $200 per axle probably was going to turn the rotors, lube all points, and completely flush the system, then dispose of the old stuff. Did you do all of that? All pads are not created equal, it's my experience that dealer pads are a cut above the rest.
I am sitting just under 45k. The dealer told me I needed new pads front and back, but when we got the back ones off they did not need to be replaced (another thing that made me kinda mad). We went ahead and replaced them because the parts were so cheap.

I'm sure they would have done a bit more. I did not turn the rotors, and they probably would have. I just had the brake line flushed last week (what started this whole thing) when I burned a hole through my brakeline. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt to do it again but I just can't justify the extra cost.

Also, with what LiZrD said, I totally agree. It was really good for me to learn how to do this stuff. I feel like I know the truck a bit better. This is the kinda stuff I just didn't learn growing up.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
tommiwan said:
I am sitting just under 45k. The dealer told me I needed new pads front and back, but when we got the back ones off they did not need to be replaced (another thing that made me kinda mad). We went ahead and replaced them because the parts were so cheap.

I'm sure they would have done a bit more. I did not turn the rotors, and they probably would have. I just had the brake line flushed last week (what started this whole thing) when I burned a hole through my brakeline. I'm sure it wouldn't have hurt to do it again but I just can't justify the extra cost.

Also, with what LiZrD said, I totally agree. It was really good for me to learn how to do this stuff. I feel like I know the truck a bit better. This is the kinda stuff I just didn't learn growing up.
I've got 42,000 and my brakes still look new, I think I'll get 80,000 out of them.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought 45k was a low mileage to need new brakes, but like they say it depends on the driver. I did buy the truck used, and I know that I have a heavy foot sometimes, so maybe that requires a heavy brake.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I read a lot about people stretching their pads longer and longer. Doing this only wears on your other brake components and hurt you in the long run. It is better to drop say $50 now, than $600 later. And to tommiwan, congrats and welcome to the addiction. A lot of things are quite simple, and some things are not. Like slammed1 said, make sure you always double check everything. I also always have someone with me even if only to watch what I am doing so I don't overlook something. Better safe than sorry!

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
mattspenc said:
I read a lot about people stretching their pads longer and longer. Doing this only wears on your other brake components and hurt you in the long run. It is better to drop say $50 now, than $600 later. And to tommiwan, congrats and welcome to the addiction. A lot of things are quite simple, and some things are not. Like slammed1 said, make sure you always double check everything. I also always have someone with me even if only to watch what I am doing so I don't overlook something. Better safe than sorry!
There would be no benefit to me spending $50 on brakes right now, seriously they look new and I won't be letting them wear till they are metal to metal, that would not be wise.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.