DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am coming up on 10k miles and its time to change the fuel filter. I found one online at www.scheiddiesel.com for $10.00 bucks each. Which is a steal compared to what the stealership wants $45.00, $60.00 to install. WTF? Anyway before I order the fuel filter, I was just wondering if it will fit an 2005, 610 series. It lists 03-04 on the website, but I don't think there is a difference between the the 03-05, fuel filter wise. I want to do it myself, but I was also wondering if its a pain in the neck, or relitivley easy? Anything to watch out for when I am changing it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated... Thanks to all...

Carlos

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would give Sheids a call. They would know for sure what the 05's take.

You could also check out www.genosgarage.com

Josh

·
Registered
442 Posts
haha....I was just going to start this thread. I was under my hood today and said to myself that I need to change mine. Thanks for the sheids info. Looks like thats where I'm going to get mine.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I get mine from genos along with my oil filters.
When you change your fuel filter first drain the bottom of the canister at the water drain valve. I never drain all of it out as I have never had any water in it. I drain it into a cup to inspect it. Pull the cap off and install the new filter along with the new o-ring. Put it back together and turn the key to on about three times. This will fill the canister back up with fuel and make it easier to start the truck. Sometimes it can be difficult to restart the truck after this procedure but with this method I have never had a problem.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
I also get mine from Genos. They have a 4/2/1 filter kit that has 4 oil filters, 2 fuel filters, & 1 air filter for $76. I also cycle the key three times, but I was told that you need to bump the starter for the lift pump to come on.

·
Registered
35,850 Posts
How often do you guys change the filter? I have never changed one yet. My 98 had 85,000 K, my 2000 had 70,000 K and my 03 had 76,000 K so thats around 50,000 miles each and never found the need to change one.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
You can hear the pump run when you cycle the key on. ;)

Genos also sells the (4-oil, 2-fuel, 1-air) filter kits without the air filter for those of us who don't run a stock airbox anymore....

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
GMUSSER said:
I get my fuel filters at my cummins dealer in Tampa Fl. $10.20 and they are fleet guard
I get mine from a Freightliner Dealer in Lexington, KY...I also use the Fleetguard, # FS19579 Fuel Filter & LF16035 Stratapore Oil Filter. Given the expense of the fuel filter, I'm now changing mine every oil change (about 5k or 6k miles). The dealer should never charge much more than .3 labor hours for the filter change. A more frequent fuel filter change is cheap insurance in regards to the fuel system & injectors these trucks use.
Greg

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
gsbrockman said:
A more frequent fuel filter change is cheap insurance in regards to the fuel system & injectors these trucks use.
Greg
AMEN... The book says change oil every 7500 miles, I do mine 3-4000 and the fuel filter gets changed every other OC when I wash the K&N air filter. Oils is cheap, engines are expensive. I run the NAPA Golds, have a friend that is a Manager. :D Include 2 Qts of Lucas oil additive with each change and a pint of Marval Mystery Oil in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Got Diesel? said:
You can hear the pump run when you cycle the key on. ;)
Not on my truck. I turned the key to the on position three times like you said and the truck wouldnt start. I did hear a humming noise though. So, I bumped the starter and heard a louder humming/buzzing noise which I assume is the lift pump working. The cycle only lasts about 10 seconds, so I bumped it three times and she fired right up.

·
Older, but no wiser.
989 Posts
Deke said:
I bumped the starter and heard a louder humming/buzzing noise which I assume is the lift pump working. The cycle only lasts about 10 seconds, so I bumped it three times and she fired right up.
That's the one to listen for. Just dont crank for more than a bump and she will self prime.

·
Dodgezilla
5,719 Posts
I never completely empty the fuel canister. Maybe that's why I have never had a problem.....

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I changed my fuel/water separator today. It was really easy. But for those of you who are new to Diesels like myself, don't forget to close the drain valve when you prime it. I installed it, then primed it without closing the drain valve and had a gallon of diesel fuel in a bucket. After my dumbass figured out why it was not starting, I simply closed the valve and primed it twice (or turning the key off and on twice) and what do you know, it started right up...... :banghead: :whackit:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.