DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I got my pioneer headunit and love it...but was wondering how involved it would be to change the other lights behind the dash (AC, speedo, tach, etc) to get a fairly close shade of blue? Do-able or not?

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Pita

·
Vertically-Challenged
12,020 Posts
Its definetly not worth the hastle of getting the the bulbs. Unless you are an anal guy that wants every light inside to match. Go ahead but be forwarned it is a PAIN!

·
Registered
287 Posts
It it possible? I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have to change the bulbs, you'd have to find a way to change the color of the film that that goes behind the gauge face.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I was thinking about doing this too.. as my truck is blue.. my pioneer head unit is VERY bright blue.. and my instrument panel lights are queerie green. :help:

·
Banned
7,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm sure it would be a PITA, I guess my question is would I just have to change the bulbs, or would that not work? I think it would look awesome and be worth the time it took to do it.

·
Fireball!!!
1,049 Posts
What i did was install a small red neon above the guage cluster the light from the neon makes the white guage faces red. Your numbers are still green but not noticable..

·
Registered
116 Posts
There's gots to be someone out there that has done this.. or knows a reasonable way to do it. :huh:

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
***From manual*****
The speedometer graphics are black (primary
scale) and blue (secondary scale) against a white
field, making them clearly visible within the instrument
cluster in daylight. When illuminated from
behind by the panel lamps dimmer controlled cluster
illumination lighting with the exterior lamps turned
On, the black graphics appear dark blue and the blue
graphics appear light blue. The orange gauge needle
is internally illuminated. Gauge illumination is provided
by replaceable incandescent bulb and bulb
holder units located on the instrument cluster electronic
circuit board. The speedometer is serviced as a
unit with the instrument cluster.

That being said, yes you can change them, however they are going to be colored by the green transparency as they are a regular old yellow lamp. What you can do is see what lamp it is, then order super white LED replacements from mouser.com or digikey.com, or get a couple of different colors and see which blends to the green overlay best. If you get a superwhite blue, it may make a desireable result. They stock 12 volt compatible assemblies for many of your internal lights, as in you dont have to figure out current displacement and add the resistors yourself, just plug them in. You could always build them yourself if you are more of a DIYer.

http://www.mouser.com/?handler=data.listcategory&Ne=400&terms=led&Ntt=*led*&crc=false&Ns=SField&N=435

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Criteria?Ref=336903&Site=US&Cat=32113488

Attachments

·
C HEMI GO
1,739 Posts
Place like the cupholder/ashtray/glovebox are led's not film. you also have to consider if you want to change the headlight switch, door and window switches, overhead, etc.

There's a WHOLE lotta green.

Easier fix, wear colored glasses.

·
Banned
7,195 Posts
i'm sure it's a good experience for people that want to do this like the guy above but why not spend the time on installing some LT headers :D :D:D:D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.