DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone change the CV boot on their 99 yet? Just wondering how hard it is. Unbolt half shaft from dif then undo the nut on the other end and turn the knuckle and pull? Or do I need to undo one of the ball joints to get it out?
Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not done that neither, but when I made the BJ replacement, I took out the CV as you are explaining. Not too difficult if you remove also the steering link BJ from the knuckle.
Saludos

·
unRegistered Dog
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Saludos. This is what I did last weekend. I posted this on dodgetruckowners dot org. I should have come back and posted here also. sorry. This should help if anyone is thining of doing it them selfs. It is the easest I've done.

This weekend I changed one of my CV boots out and just wanted to share this with everyone. I got this from Joe R. (always want to give credit where credit is do.) To remove the axle. "Lift truck, put jack stand on frame behind axle (under door), and use a floor jack to raise or lower the a-arm to slide the shaft out." All of the other half axles I've ever done you would have to at least pull one of the ball joints free to get it out. I think the whole job only took 45 min. After you remove the shaft you need to cut the old boot off. Wipe some of the old grease out and you will see the top of the clip that holds the joint on. You will need a snap ring tool that can be used to push the clip out towards the out side of the joint. (<-> not >-<) just pull the joint off when doing this. You will also need the tool for tightening the band around the boot. There are several different types of bands make sure to get the right one.

This was a very easy job so I thought I would share it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.