DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Changed plugs, FU results, please help!!

1K views 39 replies 21 participants last post by  MonsoonMike 
#1 ·
:mad:Took a while to change them for the first time. Bosche Supers, now my truck is idling ALL wrong, lights are dimming, and feels like its gonna die. Any suggestions would be appreciated very much. I checked the plugs three times before installing, what the h--- did I do wrong? :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

#2 ·
Are you throwing codes? Everything plugged in correctly?

#5 ·
Very sorry, its a 05 4.7, the truck was running fine before the change I just wanted to see if I could get a smoother idle + Im at 55k and Im not sure if they've been changed. Disconnected batt, took off the box on top, took the little boxes loose, removed the plugs one at a time while replacing them simultaneously. I also took the two in the back loose at the connector, but they are all pugged in. Put it back together, connecting the battery last, and it would not start. I jumped it off, but like I said its not right at all. So if Im missing something Im just not seeing it. Thanks for any help..

#7 ·
I think you're going to have to wait for some folks to wake up. It's like 3 in the morning on the west coast.

#9 · (Edited)
I know stupid question but it must be asked .. you say you checked the plugs but did they give you the correct plugs ..happened before , checked the gap on each as you put them back in each cylinder gently not to close the gap using a socket with a rubber plug holder ..are your coils /plug wires all attached firmly..if you did as you say removed one at a time and used the correct plugs, without seeing what you did its a tough call .recheck everthing and get back with us.. u may have missed something or your plugs are the wrong application

#10 ·
Wrong plugs are the first thing I thought, but I would also assume he would have some sort of misfire code as well...it's odd that it's not popping a CEL...

#11 ·
Beside what's mentioned above. The only other thing I can think of is maybe you knocked off a vacuum hose somewhere?
Good Luck

#13 ·
I'd assume something wasn't plugged back in after it all got put together...

#14 ·
im gonna go with a wire crossed somehow. he could have 6 of them right and two of them off and his firing order is off. Very rough idle, and if it stays running, it wont want to.

#18 ·
Well, it was running before and now not. Something has to be hooked up wrong and you missed a connection somewhere. If you have to jump it - that doesn't make sense. That is the battery.. Maybe the battery went dead.

You would not believe what a bad battery can do to these trucks. They do not like weak batteries. If I were you- I'd have the battery checked. It has to be that.

#19 ·
Is there any possibility of moisture getting into the plug hole before you put the coils back in? I had this problem after a long trip through a bad storm- got some water past one of the coil seals, and the engine ran like crap, it never threw a code. ('02 4.7)

#22 ·
seeing u said its a 4.7 just outta no ware try checking ur coolant and see if theres smoke out the exhaust. the 4.7 is very well known for head gaskets going bad. but i dont see that beaing caused buy plugs at all. but could be draw of luck it happends same time????

#23 ·
You are reading too deep into this. It ran fine before the plugs, maybe a little rough at idle.

watch.. it's going to be the battery.. I telling ya now..
:loud:

#27 ·
I can personally vouch for batteries taking a poo for no apparent reason. I swapped wheels with a member on here a few weeks back. I drove to his house just fine, when I went to leave after the swap I got nothing. He ended up having to drive me and my battery to the parts store for a new one. Turns out one of the cells took a dump.

Glad you got it fixed up

#25 ·
and still good luck with those plugs mine lasted me all about 10,000 miles through a code. I then had to replace them and went with v-power plugs by NKG and so far so good. the 4.7l don't like high power plugs.

#26 ·
Glad you got it fixed :tup:

#29 ·
Your right 06quadram...these trucks sure act goofy when the battery goes. I had a 96 that was running just fine and went to start it to go in town one Sunday afternoon and the thing was popping out the exhaust and would hardly idle and after going over everthing I could think of I finally called a friend of mine that works at the local Dodge dealer and he said stick a battery in it. I said... man it's turning over just fine... he said trust me it's the battery. So long story short... put a new battery in and it ran just fine. There's so many sensors and switches on these trucks that require a certain amount of juice to work properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.