DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put new Champion platinum plugs in my D at 37K miles. I'm at 56K now. When should I do them again? How about the serpentine belt. It's the original, and I just took a look at it today, no cracks. How long do they last for? My last D was a 99 w/ the 5.9 and I put a new Goodyear Gatorback belt on it when I bought it with 80k miles on it. How much longer am I good to go on my current one?

Joe

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I had my bely replaced due to a fluid spell (she sounded like a squealing pig!). Had also around 50K on her, belt looked like new. I would give her another 15 -20K. Plugs maybe also another 10K.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Hi Joe:
I too put the plats in my D at 28k, and so far at 66k they look like new. I am going to shoot for 50k, and then recheck.

Re the belt, If you see no cracks or glazing you should be good to go. I would not worry about it till you hit 50k or better unless you see visual signs of deterioration.

Don

·
Swamp Yankee
1,201 Posts
I have 83,000 on original plugs and belt ;)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
SND:

When you get around to tending your plugs, you will find the gap is huge as they are only spec'ed for 30k, and believe me they are shot at 30k. That is why I went back in with plats. You will notice a marked increase in power and smoothness. It is worth the effort and fuel savings.

Don

·
Registered
102 Posts
Don Fox said:
SND:

That is why I went back in with plats. You will notice a marked increase in power and smoothness. It is worth the effort and fuel savings.

Don
Can you elaborate on that? What type of plats? Bosch Platinum +4?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nivled:

I chose to go back in with the platinum equivalent of the OEM Champion RC12MCC4 plug which is a Champion RC12PYP.

I have learned through the years that the engine builder usually knows what plug works best in their engine, unless of course you are performing significant mods.

Platinum lasts longer than the regular old plugs. That was my only reason for the change.

It does amaze me that in this day and age any manufacturer would market a new vehicle with plugs that last less than 75-100k let alone 30k.

I have almost 40k on my plats, and the gap is still .040.

As always, YMMV and to each his/her own.

Don

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.