DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
08Hemisilvercrew
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 08 Hemi Ram has 150 miles on it. I just bought it last week. You know this truck has been sitting for a year and a half. I'm thinking about changing the oil? What do you guys think?

·
^GM Goodwrench Certified^
2,918 Posts
i would, chrysler engines come broken in, so you dont have to worry about special additives.

·
PAID OFF!!!
7,637 Posts
I would change it. I personally wouldn't go with Synthetic until 2000 to 2500. But oil change ideas are like a$$holes. Everybody has one.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have an a$$hole too I wouldnt switch to syn til 10000 but thats just my a$$hole oh i mean idea $.02

·
Great View
1,048 Posts
I switched at 2500 miles. I'm at 20000 now and not burning any oil.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Change it. Dino oil first...for safety!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
You can run synthetic from the very 1st second an engine is fired up. It will do no harm at all. The engine will still break in/rings will seat/etc... properly. There are many vehicles that come from the factory with synthetic and never see a drop of conventional oil. Use whatever you wish to and don't sweat it.

·
ol faithful
826 Posts
go for it with the synthetic oil, in my opinion and since it been sitting for a while, but at the same time your oil still should be good with the low mileage on it. as long as its topped off. I personally run royal purple oils throughout my whole truck(engine, tranny, differential) but it's your preference.

2004 dodge ram 1500 q/c short bed 4.7l engine
5 speed manual nv3500 tranny
gibson headers, dual exhaust
jet chip stage 2, 180* t-stat
linex spray in bed liner, camper shell
3.55 axle(open diff for now) 2wd.

·
Kenneth Robert
574 Posts
I wouldn't think the oil would break down while it sat. I've only bought a couple new cars and changed the oil after the first 1,000 miles or so. On my Mustang, i switched to synthetic after 10,000 miles, but my truck used to be my brothers and he ran Mobil One from the first oil change on. I think people freak out too much about oil....todays technology makes for some amazing products. I still think you can run synthetic and change your oil avery 10,000 miles, but I do it at 5,000. BMW's come stock with Mobil One and the first oil change is scheduled at 15,000 miles. Sure, it's a lot tighter tolerances, but still. BTW, ever driven a straight 6 BMW? It's like a sewing machine...I had to watch the tach to make sure I didn't red line it because you sure as heck can't feel it!

·
Registered
630 Posts
BTW, ever driven a straight 6 BMW? It's like a sewing machine...I had to watch the tach to make sure I didn't red line it because you sure as heck can't feel it!
Nope, but I used to own one with the V-12...Swing!!!

·
Acts 2:38-39
2,355 Posts
You can run synthetic from the very 1st second an engine is fired up. It will do no harm at all. The engine will still break in/rings will seat/etc... properly. There are many vehicles that come from the factory with synthetic and never see a drop of conventional oil. Use whatever you wish to and don't sweat it.
The main reason you wouldn't want to use synthetic for break in is due to the price. If it only has 150 miles on it, I'd take it on a couple full chat (or near full) runs down the highway. Gitter on the onramp and drop the hammer. Take the next exit, turn around and do'er again. About 5 circles should get the rings good and seated.
With my wife's new Avenger, I didn't think of that. I had 3 adults in the car and I gave it the gun for about 8 straight red lights. That little hummer gets 33mpg at 65 or so on the highway now. Rated 31.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The main reason you wouldn't want to use synthetic for break in is due to the price. If it only has 150 miles on it, I'd take it on a couple full chat (or near full) runs down the highway. Gitter on the onramp and drop the hammer. Take the next exit, turn around and do'er again. About 5 circles should get the rings good and seated.
With my wife's new Avenger, I didn't think of that. I had 3 adults in the car and I gave it the gun for about 8 straight red lights. That little hummer gets 33mpg at 65 or so on the highway now. Rated 31.
:huh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.