DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my CAT. converter is making a rattling noise. I tried to clamp it down because I've noticed that when I put pressure on it it stops rattling. But the clamps do not work. Can any body suggest a quick fix for this? Or do I need to replace the CAT?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh I forgot, I am thinking about replacing the entire exhust system from header to tail pipe, what do you all recomend?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm having the same issue on my '99 dakota. I just got my truck back from the dealership today because I had a check engine light and had some maint. done to the vehicle. Check Engine light was related to the cat malfunctioning, I'd replace the CAT.

What year is your truck? I found a 59" replacement CAT for $140.

-Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
CAT Rattle?

Hi Dan,
I have the exact same thing on my 99 Dakota. Something must be broken on the inside. I hear it rattle and the check engine lite comes on. The next time I start the check engine light is off. Where did you find the new CAT. What did you mean about 59 inches.

Mike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mike,
I did a search on google and this is what I came up with:

Partstrain - $161.95

Carstuff - 136.85

I'm not too sure how reputable either website is, so I'd recommend calling in the order and checking availability. I guess 59" is the length of the tubing the CAT is on, just my guess from the part descriptions on the websites.

EDIT: FYI, both links are for a cat that is NOT California emission legal.

-Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
FYI, I went to Autozone earlier, they can get the bolt on CAT for $100.

-Dan

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, swapped out my catalytic converter today with the one I order from Autozone, what a difference. The old cat was rusted down to the muffler, I believe this is why it was rattling so much (internals rusted, broke loose, etc.). I recommend replacing your muffler as well. Mine had a hole in it and was not functioning well.

-Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey all. I have a 99 Dakota and had gone through 3 cats! Check the factory warrentee on them, I think it is around 50K. They all sounded like marbles inside of them. You could realy hear it while at a drive up window.
geo

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I tried to buy a bolt on cat but the bolts on's wont work, It needs to be compatible with your computer system

·
Registered
65 Posts
what ever you do don't get CATCO cats they will clog in 15k or catch on fire and/or cook your 02 sensors, seen it, been there, fixed that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.