DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright fellas. 96 1500. I drove my truck to another town last night and a funny sound started under the hood. The more I drove it the worse it got. Then on the way home on open road I could only get up to about 50 mph. Before I got to a buddies has a mile or so down the road I was down to about 15 mph. Its almost like its starving for air or something. The more you get on it, the more it lugs down. Ive been all over the motor and the only thing i found wrong was a loose sparkplug. Replaced all four. No smoke no nothing out of the ordinary except for no power. Could this be a plugged cat? If it is can i just gut the cat and solve my problem? Thanks everyone.

·
Just Call Me Oz
2,844 Posts
If the cat is plugged then yes it would cause the issue.

But, the cat usually slowly plugs up and not all at once. So I would think there is something else wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's the same thing that's happening to my 01. It gets really frustrating when you drop down to 30mph on the highway. Hopefully someone on here has had this issue and knows how to fix it.

Here in the next couple months I want to replace everything from the Cat back. Thinking about going with some straight pipes or some glasspacks

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
i had the samething happen to my 98 318 . driving 70 down the freeway then instent bog down , no power sputtering had to pull over on the shoulder . had it towed to the stealership(100k warrenty) and they put a new cat on . had to pay 125 buck's because my cat back was welded not bolted to the cat .

easy way to find out for sure . disconnect the manifold's from the y-pipe to bye-pass the cat . it will be loud but if she rev's drive's good then you know cat . good luck

later.....DP

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
take a big hammer to the cat for the time being to break it down then rev it and it should blow platnum dust out

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have a 95 and a 96 doing the same thing. I think you are right , could very well be a converter. What about the plenum gasket , I have seen some posts on that as well. ???? I will be looking into this problem on my trucks sometime this week. Any insight will be appreciated. Its just like he said, the more I puch on the gas, the slower I go.

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts
well for now you can drill a couple of half inch holes in the cat in the fwd part on the bottom to allow the gasses to escape and your power will return

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hopefully I will get to my truck tommorrow. Been too busy at work to get into it. But the way its lost power and all, pretty much tells me its the cat. Got a couple of ideas Im gonna try, and will get them posted as soon as I can. Noticed a typo in my original post. I replaced all eight sparkplugs, not four. Thought about selling the goat, but its been more faithfull than my ex-wife!

·
Registered
493 Posts
i had a cat fail on the 2nd hour of a 3 1/2 hour trip on my car, took about 5 minutes to go from normal to limping along

car was running perfectly fine

over course of a few minutes I noticed the power drop, to where i was barely maintaining 60 on a level grade, getting to 15mph going up hills. downhill i could get to 75, for going up the next hill.

pressing down on the gas made things worse, best acceleration was with a very light pedal...

my cat was melted and in pieces, wouldnt be surprised if it was also poisoned with coolant from a LIM leak.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allright got to my truck today. After trying to decide to try and unbolt the y with rusted bolts, to check if it was a bad cat, I just decided to go ahead and drill a hole in the cat. Nothing to lose. I drilled a hole near the front of the cat and used a small prybar, chisel, and whatever else I could use. to start breaking up the guts. Long story short I ended up drilling 4 holes total. 1 in front, 1 in back, 2 in the middle all about dime size. It takes a little bit it to get it all broke up and get the majority out. I would break it up then crank it up to blow it out. I repeated this several times. Suprisingly it wasnt as loud as I expected. It worked. Truck now has more power and no more bogging down and losing power. I didnt get all the guts out, but I plugged the holes and ran it down the road with no problems. Will weld the holes tommorrow. To me this was the simplest way to get my truck back on the road without taking everything apart. Ive gutted alot of animals in my life but this was my 1st cat! any questions let me know.

·
Registered
493 Posts
id check to see what if anything caused your cat to fail... vacuum leak which burn up the cat, coolant getting into the exhaust, etc... otherwise u might be getting another cat in 5k miles

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'd personally get a new cat now. High-Flow Magnaflow cat's usually run around 80-100 bucks and would really help the sound of your truck as well. Not to mention that these days cat's flow so well that there's really no reason to go catless. I'd also check your rear O2 to make sure that non of the particle dust got to it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a company truck that I drive 98% of the time. I think for my situation I will just weld the holes I drilled. Ive got dual exhaust, so my truck has always been a little loud! Hope this helps the next guy!

·
Registered
493 Posts
and thanks for the update afterward. one too many thread where the guy never comes back to post about the fix. Helps alot to have resolutions in threads, for people doing searches in the future

·
4x4's-r-me!
393 Posts
I'd personally get a new cat now. High-Flow Magnaflow cat's usually run around 80-100 bucks and would really help the sound of your truck as well. Not to mention that these days cat's flow so well that there's really no reason to go catless. I'd also check your rear O2 to make sure that non of the particle dust got to it.
Just trying to learn...Are there dangers in going Catless? Does the engine need that back pressure caused by the cats to keep from damaging the valves?

I know that my dad always said a clogged cat needs to be chopped off.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just trying to learn...Are there dangers in going Catless? Does the engine need that back pressure caused by the cats to keep from damaging the valves?

the danger is getting caught without a cat on the truck, i recall reading that the fines are quite severe...less likely to get caught if you live where there are no emissions inspections, but you can still get busted if caught....and no, it will not mess up the motor up

·
Beware the Underbite!!!
6,659 Posts

just gut the body that you have and weld it back on...then use the fix that i wrote up to fool the computer...only works if you have an obd2 system 97 or newer

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do not "gut" the cats. There are several reasons not to do so. Especially if the engine is still normally aspirated. They are as follows:

The major one being that the current generation of catalyst elements are not very restrictive at all. In fact, they actually work like a tuned collector on normally aspirated engine. As the exhaust gases pass through them, they act like a check valve for exhaust flow. As the exhaust valve closes, momentum causes the gases to continue to travel through the exhaust system. This is plenty of energy to pass through the cats. This causes a vacuum to build up between the exhaust valves and the catalytic converter. The energy required to pull the gases back through the element can't build fast enough to work before the next exhaust valve opens. When that next exhaust valve opens, it is opening to a vacuum environment which helps to PULL the gases out of the cylinder due to what is called "scavenging effect". This translates into more power as the piston now does not have to do all the work to evacuate the cylinder of spent combustion gases.

Second, if you were to remove them, you would definitely want to use a cat removal pipe. The chamber left after you would "gut" the cat is actually worse at losing energy than a catalytic element (understand I mean element designs after around 1990). This is because as the gases enter the empty chamber, exhaust velocity slows down. As it then regroups to enter back into the exhaust piping, it does not have the energy it did before, therefore it "stacks", causing backpressure. This backpressure now works against the flow of spent gases out of the cylinder when the exhaust valve opens, causing the piston to do all the work. Now, energy is being wasted for gas removal that could otherwise be used to turn the crankshaft.

My recommendation would be to leave the cats alone and concentrate of every other part of the airflow system. After all else is done, come back to them, and if not using a high flow catalytic converter, then use a cat-delete pipe

·
4x4's-r-me!
393 Posts
Cat-delete pipe

My recommendation would be to leave the cats alone and concentrate of every other part of the airflow system. After all else is done, come back to them, and if not using a high flow catalytic converter, then use a cat-delete pipe
I'm still learning so forgive my ignorance. I'm leaning towards doing the chop. In my post 17 the picture I posted would that be considered a cat delete pipe? We don't have Emission test in Tennessee but I travel in states that might. I really like the visual appearance of having them just in case.

What do you think?

-Jason

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.