DodgeTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 95 1500 RAM PU 318 with 102k miles. I've gone thru a couple of Cat convertors and need another (rattling bad). I had some feedback from this site that it could be going thru these cat convertors because of the air/fuel mixture...to lean or rich. How do I determine that and what can I do to make adjustments. I know on a motorcycle you adjust the jet size in the carb? But for a truck?

thanks

GPM

·
Derelict
392 Posts
Nothing to adjust. The air/fuel mix is controlled by the computer based on the pre-cat O2 sensor. If it's bad then you'll get bad data and a bad mix.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
When is the last time you had your o2 sensor changed?

·
Registered
86 Posts
What kinda of rattling are you getting?? cause my ram has a rattling sound too, and i was afriad it was coming from the tranny but nothing feels wrong! Sounds almost like rattling nuts and bolts in a tin pan.. I would be so relieved if it was the Cat.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Tires said:
What kinda of rattling are you getting?? cause my ram has a rattling sound too, and i was afriad it was coming from the tranny but nothing feels wrong! Sounds almost like rattling nuts and bolts in a tin pan.. I would be so relieved if it was the Cat.
Is it rattling while stomping on it? Could be cat or a bad plenum gasket. Does it sound like pinging?

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
The only time i've ever heard a auto tranny 'rattle' was when a bolt had come out of the torque converter and was hitting between it & the bell housing.
It's probably your cat, mine started ratteling when I hit 98,000. Replaced it with a magnaflow y-pipe & high flow cat, no problems since. $150 shipped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Awesome. i was very worried it was gonna be really expensive!

The sound comes in a lot when the engine is cold, but settles down a bit as it warms up and you hear it when you accelerate at any speed but it stops or gets to quiet to here after 1300 rpm. im confident that its the cat. This forum ROCKs.

·
******* SPACESTATION
5,543 Posts
Awesome. i was very worried it was gonna be really expensive!

The sound comes in a lot when the engine is cold, but settles down a bit as it warms up and you hear it when you accelerate at any speed but it stops or gets to quiet to here after 1300 rpm. im confident that its the cat. This forum ROCKs.
from that description, it sounds more like spark knock.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I'm gonna go with check out the flex plate for cracks. You should be able to remove the cover underneath where the engine and trans are bolted together. Use a flash light to look up inside and look for cracks either radiating out from the bolts that hold the flex plate to the torque converter or from the crankshaft outward. This is not an uncommon problem-my 95V10 had a cracked plate and I've seen more on other chrysler products. If you check it out and its not the prob, you have at least eliminated that. It makes a heck of a rattle especially on accelleration HTH

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
Greg Murdoch said:
I have 95 1500 RAM PU 318 with 102k miles. I've gone thru a couple of Cat convertors and need another (rattling bad). I had some feedback from this site that it could be going thru these cat convertors because of the air/fuel mixture...to lean or rich. How do I determine that and what can I do to make adjustments. I know on a motorcycle you adjust the jet size in the carb? But for a truck?

thanks

GPM
If you don't have emissions checks just replace the cat with exhuast pipe.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Dont wanna straight pipe the cat (already straight piped the muffler) because it will set off the engine light and it will screw up air/fuel mixture. Im just gonna go get a stock replacement. Im sure after 200,000kms the cat could use a change, so wether its the noise problem or not it will be needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Be sure to check and see if your truck is under the recall/warranty/thingie
from last year.
Several people I have found have gotten the CatCon changed for free from
Dodge.

I would call your dealer and also C/Dodge customer service as well.
I believe that all they need is your VIN number to check.

Also something else to think about...
A few years ago my truck started rattling like crazy. Mainly when first hitting the gas. It would lessen or stop as the truck was going.
I was out of town and several places gave me varying causes--none cheap.

My buddy told me to drive it until I noticed any mechanical problems as it still seemed to be running okay but rattling like hell.

I made the 10 hour drive home and went around my(new) home town getting
some estimates. Lowest was $650 and highest was that my Trans was out.

I then went to a friend of mine at a local parts house/muffler shop. I told him and he had a guy take a look. He looked and then went back in with
a torch. Came back out and said he found the problem. He then said that he fixed it and I got nervous thinking he had done something expensive.
It turned out to be a heat shield rattling. Since then I ahve run into about 8 other Dadge Truck owners that have had similar stories but most involved
$$$$$.
I was lucky the guy charged me $5 bucks. Crazy
Just because I "had to" I went back to 3 of the places I had took it to earlier and ripped them. I could not believe the crap they came up with and the prices.
I had to have it tacked one other time since then.

Good luck to you

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I think DCX only covers vehicles up to 100,000 miles and 10 years old with that cat recall. I used it right on the border of that 10 years being up on my '96, but I only had 60k miles so I qualified on that part.

·
Jason
3,866 Posts
Tires said:
Dont wanna straight pipe the cat (already straight piped the muffler) because it will set off the engine light and it will screw up air/fuel mixture. Im just gonna go get a stock replacement. Im sure after 200,000kms the cat could use a change, so wether its the noise problem or not it will be needed.

I've been runnin mine without a cat for 8 years with no trouble. O2 sims take care of that.

·
EPA's Worst Nightmare
1,673 Posts
Tires said:
Removing the cat won't mess up the fuel mixture. The only way that would get messed up is from the upstream o2 sensor. The downstream o2 sensor is only there to see if the cat is there and working. Your truck may not even have a downstream o2 sensor. By law all vehicles 96 and newer have to have them. There are a few exceptions like the V10's that weren't made in Cali. Even if you have a downstream o2 you could always run an o2 Sim as 2k1DurangoR/T said.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.