DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 reg cab 2500 hemi with the snow plow package. It has the heavy duty front springs to handle the extra weight of a snow plow. The problem is that with these spring the ride is really stiff. Would the Carli Starter system be OK to use on my truck? I don't plow commercially and usually plow just my 300 ft driveway. Can the Carli springs handle the extra load of a snow plow or would this be a bad idea. I want to improve the ride but I still want to be able to use my truck as intended. Most of the time (maybe 98%) the snow plow will not be on. What do you think?

Mark

·
Senór Member
17,169 Posts
the weight rating isn't affected at all w/ the Starter, so, i figure you'd just sag a LOT more than w/ the stock coils, not enough to hurt anything though, but, i dunno.....

strtlegal will know a lil more than me, lemme PM him...:D

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
If you are just going to have the plow on there 2% of the time, I would think everything would be ok. I do some checking and let you.

BTW,
Where are you in MI?

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Carli springs will not sag anymore than your stock Hemi springs, Your truck now sits nose low, These springs will bring up the front. The spring rate is softer, but thats rate. How much do expect the suspension to cycle while plowing some snow drifts?

If anything order there Diesel springs.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
does carli use different springs for a diesel and a hemi? I am eventually going to order there starter kit but i thought they all used the same springs:help:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have an 09 reg cab 2500 hemi with the snow plow package. It has the heavy duty front springs to handle the extra weight of a snow plow. The problem is that with these spring the ride is really stiff. Would the Carli Starter system be OK to use on my truck? I don't plow commercially and usually plow just my 300 ft driveway. Can the Carli springs handle the extra load of a snow plow or would this be a bad idea. I want to improve the ride but I still want to be able to use my truck as intended. Most of the time (maybe 98%) the snow plow will not be on. What do you think?

Mark
maybe you could look at some timbrens

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I live close to Manchester.

Carli makes different springs for the hemi and the diesel. I could possibly get diesel springs but I'm not sure how it would ride without the plow.

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
First off,
Welcome to Dodge Talk fellow Michigander!!!

I talked to my guy at Carli this morning(Jesse) about you needs. How much does your plow setup weigh? Assuming that it is around 300-400lbs it should compress the Hemi springs and additional 1/2" or so. The Diesel springs are spec'ed to deal with the additional 700lbs of Cummins in the front of those trucks, so it would be pretty rough when the plow was off and even a bit stiff when you had the plow on. I would go with the Hemi starter kit based on the truck being without plow most of the time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Western plow that I was considering weighs almost 700lbs. So the front end might squat a couple of inches. Would I get an improved ride if the only mod I made was to change the shocks to bilsteins?

Mark

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
You should get about a 1/2" per squat per 400 lbs. That would put you between 3/4" and 1" of drop with the plow on. Did you add the beefier springs yourself? As far as I know, neither the HD snowplow prep package and the Snow Chief package address anything to do with the suspension. It is mostly undercarriage protection and electrical upgrades.

Bilstein shocks will help a little but the big problem is the front spring rate and those rear overload leafs. Carli solves both problems with a better spring rate up front and replacing those 1/2" thick pieces of steel in the back with a 5 leaf progressive pack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I visit the Plowsite Forum often and they claim that the plow prep has heavier springs. Although I haven't verified this.

There seems to be 2 different type of coils out there. Variable rate and straight rate. After talking to Kore, they only sell straight rate for the hemi even though they advertise variable rate. Does Carli sell variable (multirate) for the hemi or are these strictly for the diesel.

Are there any pictures out there of a reg cab with the Carli Starter System? Do you think that 285/70-17 would look OK with this? I know 35s will fit and look really good but I'm sure the fuel mileage will suffer and the truck may not have as much power for plowing snow with big tires. I guess I could change gears but then I am falling into the modification trap and I'm not sure I really want to do that. It could be fun but too expensive.

·
Hook it and Book it!
1,182 Posts
i say call carli and ask their advice. great guys and very helpful!

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
Both of their spring setups are multi-rate. As far as tires go, are your stockers in good shape? If so, get them siped and keep them for plowing and get something bigger for the rest of the year.

Also, what gears do you have in that truck?

·
Registered
385 Posts
The little amount of plowing you will be doing will not harm the coils. As for the tires, I would do a 285/75/17 (33.8" in the A/T's and 34.1" in the M/T's Toyo's) in which is a good compromise between the 285/70/17 & 35" tire. Nittos is the other that I know of that makes that size.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there anyone out there with the Hemi running a Carli Starter system that can tell me how much better this is from stock? I see a lot of feedback from the diesel owners but not many from the hemi. The front coils are different for each engine. Do the coils look like this?

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,303 Posts
Here is a pic of what it would look like for the most part. This is Mitchgmace's rig. It is a Cummins Regular cab with a Kore setup, but it should look about the same.

He took these for me today. Thanks Mitch:rck:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
actually i recently put a carli system into my 06 2500 hemi, and it is the best investment ive made so far. And like you, i plow, so i talked to the guys at KLM performance in Connecticut, where i bought the kit from, (GREAT GUYS DOWN THERE!) and they recommended that i run the diesel coils in my hemi. They ride much better than stock, and with my plow on it, it barely sinks the front end (doesnt even sink 1/2"). So i actually can plow while running my 35x12.5 tires. So definitely go for the carli system but get the diesel coils, you wont regret it. Just for clarification my set up includes carli starter system with bilstien shocks, diesel coils, mini packs for the rear, carli endlinks, and i also bought the carli adjustable track bar and high mount steering stabilizer ($1700 total). the end links, track bar, and steering stabilizer along with coils make my 2500 drive like a damn cadillac, the system is amazing. Truck turns better, rides smoother on/off road, and even plows better. let me know if you have any other questions about this set up. other wise go talk to Kevin at KLM Performance and he will explain in much better detail why u should run the diesel coils, unfortunately Sage and Jesse at Carli Inc. live in So-Cal so they dont really have alot of experience with plowing, never mind snow. But i agree with everyone else, everyone down at Carli is awesome to talk/deal with, and their customer service is top notch. but then again this is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Kayter,

How is your ride without the plow and diesel coils? Is it too stiff? Do you have any pictures that you could post?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.