Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

After finding that the EGR and O2 sensor are deleted from my van, I decided to tackle the adjusting of the carb. I've been reading a lot online (here ! You guys are awesome) and in the FSM and took pictures. From what I see, I've got a Holley 2280 carb on my B250 1986 5.2L.

I wanted to go buy carb cleaner today and I guess it's better to order the rebuild kit and do all at the same time. There seem to be some leaks and I can't find the blow vent hose... Another thing that was deleted ?? I'm starting to think that PO was needing cash and started selling parts one by one !!

So, here's the pic. You can also see a black leak just to the left of it. Is this yet another "optional" part ? Should I just plug it ??

Thanks !

Attachments

·
Registered
675 Posts
It looks like the PO was trying to be rid of all the emissions crap that was such a staple of the '80s vehicles. That is a lean-burn carb and the missing piece is part of the bowl vent system (can't have raw gasoline just evaporating to the atmosphere now can we). From what I understand, the lean-burn was an all or nothing type system. If the distributor is changed to regular electronic ignition then the carb must also be replaced and visa versa.

If you live in a location that does not smog check then I would replace the distributor with a good electronic one and ditch that carb for a 600 cfm Edelbrock or Holley (my personal preference is Holley, but that's just me). Note: If you decide to go that route you will need to replace the intake manifold with one for a 4-barrel carb. You can also get new or remaned non-lean burn 2-barrel Holleys that will fit your current intake. If you live in a smog check area and must have all of the original smog equipment then I would try to find a remanufactured 2280 and replace the EGR and O2 sensor.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed reply. Seems like I learn new stuff everyday with this van !

Is there a way to know where the bowl vent should go ? Could I just reconnect it somewhere ? I'd go the full carb replacement route if it wasn't that we're leaving in 4 weeks for a 6 week roadtrip down in USA. The time that I order parts, do the work, have some surprises... I fear that I won't have the luxury of doing it beforehand. Unless it is a simple task to replace all that (I've never done timing.)

We don't have emission tests for these vehicles here so I'm good to go with a non-lean carb. I'd like to have the best MPG ration more that more HP as it's bound to be on the road often.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I believe the bowl vent just went to the charcoal canister. I could be mistaken on that one, but if you still have the emissions diagram on the hood or on the shock tower (shows vacuum hose routing etc) it should show that.

You can't just plug the bowl vent though because it is literally a vent for the bowl and plugging it could prevent fuel from entering the carb when needed or disrupt the flow of fuel from the carb through the venturis or the accelerator pump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.