DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never too excited about the few silver trim pieces in my '09, so I covered them in carbon fiber vinyl today. I'm pretty pleased with the results

·
Cali Wagon Wheeler
1,307 Posts
That came out nice. How difficult was the install?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Wow! Nice clean job!

What was involved? Did you have to tear everything apart?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I have about 4 or 5 hours into the whole thing. I think the key to the whole thing is to use a high quality vinyl wrap. I used 3M 1080, the color is Anthracite. It looks great, it's not just a print, there's an actual textured pattern, so it feels and reflects light very similarly to real carbon fiber. The 3M 1080 film is also very malleable when you use a heat gun, which was important on the center dash pieces, because of the compound curvature near the top.

Installation is pretty straightforward. The air vents near the doors just pop out with a trim stick, just disconnect the light switch on the drivers side. The EVIC button trim also just pops out. Use a small trim stick, and push the air bag / horn button to the other side from the trim you're trying to remove, and they'll pull right out. The switches themselves then pop out of the trim pieces. The center dash is held in with 3 screws, 2 on top, and 1 behind the small piece of trim that surrounds the 115V outlet. Once you have all the pieces out, take everything off of them. The biggest problem is the fact that the silver 'wings' on the center dash can't be removed, so you're going to need to be very steady with a razor for the seam between the silver and the black.

As far as actually applying the vinyl goes, just take your time, make sure you clean the trim with alcohol before you apply the vinyl, and don't be afraid to use a heat gun, on a low setting, to get the wrap properly applied. This was my first time applying a vinyl wrap to anything, I think it came out well.

·
Anti-Chrome
591 Posts
Ive been wanting to do this myself

·
Registered
476 Posts
looks good.

·
Registered
13 Posts
looks great,i have the painted trim and would like to have the chrome trim where would be a good place to find it?

·
Agent Orange!
4,280 Posts
Good job man. Love the new look. That new 3m stuff is quite kool.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Damn that looks great!

·
Registered
531 Posts
Very nice job - should come from the factory like that - chrome, in the sun, in front of you, is always a BAD idea.

Very nice, indeed!

·
Registered
311 Posts
^^Hahaha! :thatfunny

·
Longhorn 2011
110 Posts
I bought a 5' X 1' sheet of the vinyl wrap for less than $20, and I still have a 2' X 1' section left over. It's a very inexpensive mod.
Yeah, I know it's not expensive but it just seems like when I do something to the truck I find something else to mod. Also I just sold my 2002 Silverado today so that means I've got more mod money.:help:

·
Bye bye 3rd Gen
1,651 Posts
Looks great!

·
locogk
5,864 Posts
very nice

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks good!