Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
On another note, I getting ready to rebuild my 360 engine out of my 77 D-100. One of the problems that I'm trying to address is this; I do a lot of driving from a high altitude area to a low altitude area. (Nevada to california) elevations ranging from 8000 feet to sea level. Is there a carb made that will automatically adjust to the changes in altitude or am I stuck with buying an aftermarket fuel injection setup to make this work. I would like to keep this as simple as possible as there is currently very few items on the truck that are computer controlled.... Thanks

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
I'm not sure of any carbs. that can automatically adjust to elevation changes other than OE carbs from the 80's that were electronically controlled.

If this is going to be your primary vehicle to make these trips, it may be worth the coin to put the fuel injection on. May be less of a headache down the road.

·
4 Wheel Power Disc Brakes
5,828 Posts
Most Themoquads have a altitude compensator, but if I recall correctly it only works on the idle circuit.
Electronic feed-back carbs. are the only ones that will adjust for elevation, as they use an O2 sensor to adjust the mixture but are found on smogged out vehicles and tend to be set on the lean side.
Holley used to sell a kit called the mile maker or something to that effect to use on smog approved replacement carbs but I don't think it exists anymore. (could be wrong) The R-7855 was a smog-legal carb for vans in the later 70's which could be fitted with the device.
--B-300--

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I'm going to be stuck with a fuel injector mod. Since I have no other electronics (other than the stock ignition ), I dont imagine that I can use just any system from a late model 360 that requires a master EEC or other oem computer. Anybody know of an aftermarket company that produces a fuel injection mod that is stand alone?

·
Do It In A Van
8,045 Posts
Holley and Edelbrock make kits for SB Chrysler engines. They aren't cheap, but include everything you need...except intake I think.

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are plenty of EFI systems that could be adapted to a PowerWagon, mostly based on a GM TBI assembly.

I like the Howell, it's easy to fix, and very reliable. I've had one for over 10 years on the Jeep, and it's paid for itself over and over and over in fuel savings. Learning EFI and doing these swaps isn't as hard as one would think. IMHO, the hardest part is getting the TBI assembly to match the Intake via an adapter. Other that that, EFI could be adapted in less than a week-end and another few hours of chip-burning to get the fuel map correct.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
MegaSquirt is the cheapest I think, my buddy just bought it for using on his big-turbo Omni. I think you can get it for around 500 bucks. If you're not into tuning it yourself, there are plenty of places who can do it.

Personally I plan on swapping 91-93 factory Magnum MPFI onto my truck, and use a 4-bbl single plane intake and aftermarket 4-bbl TB.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas Dodgevanman, Leve and Speed Dragon. I'll check out the sites that you gave me and get back to you...speed dragon, don't you have to have the factory wiring harness and computers (along with all the other associated sensors) to swap out to the Magnum MPFI?? It sounds like alot of work.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
MB77 said:
.speed dragon, don't you have to have the factory wiring harness and computers (along with all the other associated sensors) to swap out to the Magnum MPFI?? It sounds like alot of work.
It's not that bad, the bodies are the same basically. I think I'm just gonna use the engine/computer harness, since it is pretty much stand-alone anyway, there's a group of about 20 wires I think going into the cab, most likely for gauges and such. Probably I won't need most of those anyway, so I'm just gonna get a wiring diagram, figure out what it has to have, and just wire it in. More reseach than work really.

Most of the sensors and stuff can be swapped over, the big thing is the intake and injectors. The Magnum intake doesn't fit, so I'll have to modify a single-plane intake to accept injectors and either make an adapter to use the stock Magnum TB or (what I'll probably do) get a 4-bbl TB. Mopar makes M1 intake w/ injector bosses cast into them for the LA engines, just have to have the holes machined in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.