DodgeTalk Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there any aftermarket carb that a good replacement for the stock 4 bbl on an 87 360 that will also help eliminate as much of the smog crap as I can? I have used the Edlebrock 1406 a few times in other engines with good results. What is needed for the trans kickdown?

·
Red Trucker
2,241 Posts
Depends on what manifold you're going to use, whether it's setup for square bore or spread bore (stock would be a spread bore). The 1406 is Eddy's take on the classic Carter AFB. Problem is, it's a square bore carb. You'd either need an adapter or switch to a square bore manifold. Edelbrock (if you go with that carb) sells all the linkage parts required to attach both the throttle cable and kickdown assembly correctly. Just out of curiosity, what's on there now? Quadrajet? If you want to keep the stock manifold and don't have emissions checks where you live, you could get a replacement or swap a Carter ThermoQuad on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its all stock, I have read the stock 4bbl intake is pretty much just as good as the aftermarket 4bbl intakes. Its been sitting for a while so my plan is to give it a tune up and get it running as good as I can then determine if I need or want to replace the carb. I have emissions inspection on it so I'd like to eliminate as much of that smog crap as possible for cleanliness and at this point its probably causing more harm than good.

·
Red Trucker
2,241 Posts
You have emissions inspection on it but you want to eliminate the emissions controls it has (thereby making it fail)? Does the inspection involve visual or tailpipe sniff?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry auto correct changed something there. I don’t have to take it to any inspection here.

·
Red Trucker
2,241 Posts
Sorry auto correct changed something there. I don’t have to take it to any inspection here.
Ah, ok. An aftermarket aluminum intake will always be superior in terms of flow and weight saving than the typical factory version, but on a stock engine like yours the only real benefit is weight savings. If you don't want to change tha intake manifold, then you should look for a spread bore. I listed a few options above, Holley also has available spread bores that would work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Its all stock, I have read the stock 4bbl intake is pretty much just as good as the aftermarket 4bbl intakes. Its been sitting for a while so my plan is to give it a tune up and get it running as good as I can then determine if I need or want to replace the carb. I have emissions inspection on it so I'd like to eliminate as much of that smog crap as possible for cleanliness and at this point its probably causing more harm than good.
you are correct. The factory cast will flow about as good as any aftermarket dual plane intake, especially on a relative mild engine. All you need to bolt the eddy carb on is a 12 dollar adaptor that can be bought at O'reillys, or summit, etc. You can use your current linkage, including kickdown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts