DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a flat spot in my carb ever since I rebuilt it several months ago. I am getting tired of it. I was pretty certain it is related to the accelerator pump as the hesitation occurs accelerating from a stop or while moving slow abd speeding up.

I Finally pulled the cover off the air cleaner and the accelerator squirt appears to exist as soon as I move the throttle, but it is very small and sort of "dribbles". (this was done with the motor off if that matters). Is this a weak pump spring issue or should I be thinking along different lines. It just does not want to seem to squirt much on its own.

After I rebuilt the 383 last month, I decided I want to go with a 4 bbl. This likely will be a spring project, so I have a few questions while I collect parts. I have an old 4bbl manifold from a 383 but was not certain if I need different throttle and kick down linkages. Are the 2 and 4 bbl factory linkages different? Finally, I was initially considering a 670 Holley truck avenger, but can track down a era correct thermoquad for much cheaper. I want vacume secondaries, and am not sure if the thermoquads are of that design. Finally, of the two, what are the pros and cons? Is one better than the other?

Thank you for any assistance/advice you offer.

·
Aka Force Fed Mopar
6,120 Posts
The accelerator pump linkage has different slots it can go in, to give it more or less travel.

TQ's are mech secondary.

·
Buck99
667 Posts
When I changed from 2 bbl to 4 bbl on my 400 I had to lengthen the kick down linkage and do some grinding on the manifold brackets. Otherwise fit OK

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I decided to double check the slot and pump squirt again. The rod is in the upper most (#1) slot as described in the FSM.

What I noticed today is that the pump seems to be binding. When I move the throttle, nothing happens. If I manually press down on the pump with the throttle opened, I get a decent squirt. Something inside is binding. So can I just source a new spring for the accelerator pump? Any ideas where to get one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.