DodgeTalk Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes recently in the fall, after it rains all night, my 1998 Durango starts up rough. I let it idle for a few before driving. I give it a little gas and for the first 5 minutes or so when I come to a stop (at a stop sign or stop light), it bogs a bit before accelerating. but once its warmed up its fine.

Now, Friday night I drove the car home. It sat undriven until Monday morning. it rained all weekend as well. I went to start the car Monday morning and it wouldnt turn over. The battery was giving the car power fine, but it just wouldnt turn. The starter sounded fine as well. I even tried about 5 times and each time the battery seemed like it was giving perfectly enough power. Actually, the first time I tried it started for a split second but then shut off.

Any idea what this could be? And why it tends to happen after rain/muggy weather? thanks!

·
Registered
152 Posts
ok, so it cranks but won't fire after it rains. check distributor cap, rotor "button" and plug wires. my guess is that if you pop the cap off after an all-night rain, you will find water / condensation inside. probably have had some arc'ing as well.

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
Old mopars were notorious for dogs pissing on the tire and not starting LMAO

Check the distributor cap out.

I had an old 1976 Charger that I had to keep WD40 and a spare cap in the trunk. WD40 will displace the ater and allow it to spark. The spare cap ehlps when you don't have time to spray and tinker. Also check the rotor. If this is part of the problem, I'd keep a spare in the glovebox as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah, ok well thanks for all the replies.

So its been 2 days now and it doesnt start.

BUT, I just remembered something that happened on Friday night when I last parked my car. After I had parked it, I was walking away and about 15-20 feet away I heard a loud pop sound, almost as if a rock hit my car. It wasnt a rock, and nothing was thrown at it. So, im assuming something popped or snapped in the engine compartment. Its raining right now so I wont be able to check it til the morning, but what should I look for?

What would make a loud pop/snap sound that would prevent my engine from starting? Belts? Thanks!

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Your car would still start with no belt on it... not that you would want it to! uhhh... Did you check the cap / rotor????

·
King Daddy D.O.G!!!
2,475 Posts
Pull the cap and check the contacts inside. Check the rotor for burnt wear on the edge. If wear and such looks ok, then spray WD40 inside the cap and shake excess out. Re-install cap and attempt to start the engine.

I'll lay money on the cap and rotor. Mopar never changes...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Also check behind the driver's side kick panel. It comes off with two screws. I had a similar problem and it was caused by a leaky windshield seal that was allowing water to drip onto the body control timer. The BCT controlls all sorts of engine functions. It's a little black box affixed to the sheet metal behind the kick panel. Look to see if there is any moisture on it or signs of rust. If there is that could be the problem.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Something doesn't add up. Are you SURE your battery is ok? How about the terminals? You can have enough CCA's to turn the starter, but not satisfy the PCM.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I havnt had a chance to check anything yet and wont until the morning. I am not 100% sure the battery is ok, but it sure sounds like its got more than enough power. The starter sounds fine as well.

No idea what that pop that i heard could be? I am willing to bet that has something to do with it.

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
Fuel pumps could pop, or the fuel line I suppose. But if that were the case it should be throwing codes and leaking fuel when the pump primes and pressurizes at the time the ignition is turned to the ON position.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Question #2: Codes?

·
Pimp On Sir Don
12,782 Posts
How did you test for codes mob?

·
Registered
152 Posts
could the "pop" have been a relay kicking out or a fuse blowing?

also, I don't recall, but there should be a relay that kills the ignition in a roll-over (i think). Don't know what else it would impact if it let go.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I know I had a similar issue with My 99 and I had the tow truck driver in my driveway ready to tow it to the dealer and he asked what was wrong, He said he has seen it a million times. He got in, Pressed the pedal to the floor, turned it over a few times, and Voila, it started. It was the Cap and Rotor issue described above. He said he has seen it so many times with Dodge trucks, and I was so thankful he saved me the dealer fees. While AAA was paying for the tow, there was no need for it so I had to give the guy a very nice tip for saving me the tow. Check that out and replace it. It should clear it up like magic.

·
0 Posts
As everyone above has already said, most likely an electrical issue with cap, rotor, or even spark plug wires.... keep us updates when you fix it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.